MyBookWorld with Blue Ring LED will not power up

After re-configuring my router, I found that I could connect to my MyBook network drive. It was spinning and the blue status light was lit, but it wouldn’t shut off when I tried to power recycle it so that it could, hopefully, be recognized by the network when it came back online. Next, I removed the power cord for a short time and then reconnected it. Now, it did not power up; it remained silent and dark.

At this point, I realized something had gone seriously wrong, so I took it back to the store where I had purchased it (Best Buy), and explained the situation. They took it back to their service area for 5-10 minutes, after which they returned. They told me “it wouldn’t power up.” Okay, I knew that, but then they told me that in order to try to recover the data they would need to “smash the enclosure” which could likely damage the drive even if the drive itself was still in working condition up to this point.

That seemed, to me, quite unreasonable; it made no sense. I am aware that even one product, such as the MyBook World Edition 1TB network drive came in different physical packages at different times. Mine was one of the early ones but, even so, I figured it shouldn’t be too difficult to open the enclosure, remove the hard drive, connect it to a computer, and copy the data off of it (as long as the drive itself was still functional). I understand that professional data recovery services are extremely expensive, but I’m not good at working with small and fragile electronics and I don’t have the required equipment such as fine screw drivers, Linux computer, sata and power cables, file conversion utilities, etc.

Any practical suggestions or helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

[Text edited to make it easier to read and understand - Trancer]

MyBookWorldUser wrote:
I’m not good at working with small and fragile electronics and I don’t have the required equipment such as fine screw drivers, Linux computer, sata and power cables, file conversion utilities , etc.

Any practical suggestions or helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

You already posted right there the only practical suggestions, as anything related to a dead drive case will result in taking the drive apart. That sure won’t be what you want to read, but it is what it is.

Since my original post, I found a very good video showing exactly how to disassemble the exact machine I have.  It is actually easy to remove everything from the enclosure, even without any tools.  That’s what I was most worried about since Best Buy told me there was no way to do that without “smashing” the enclosure.  I don’t think I’m going to be trusting them to recover my hard drive contents.

1 Like

Good you found a video. YouTube can be your best friend at times.