MyBookWorld : registration refused in Mionet

Mionet constantly rejects my attempt to register the MyBook (World Edition, white), even though it detects it, and even if I have registered a Mionet account and confirmed it (fro mthe link sent by email).

When it looks for peripherals, it detects the drives and opens an dialog asking me the name of the peripheral to register (by default “WDStorage”): when I click OK, it just displays the simple error dialog “Registration refused.” with only an OK button, and absolutely no information about why this failed.

Note: the NAS is configured with its “Public” and “Download” shares enabled for Public access. I have no Bluetooth device.

My internet connection MUST go through a NAS router (provided by my ADSL ISP, I can’t change it, but it is a very common model distributed in France, which offers full support for UPnP and NAT traversal, for lots of compatible applications, including various instant messengers and media players, and there’s NO blocking of any Peer2Peer protocol).

Why don’t the NAS register itself, instead of relying on a PC connected to it via its web browser ?

Why is the WD firmware sooooo slooooooowwwww to reply to any clink in the configuration manager (each click takes about 5 to 10 seconds before we get a reply, despite there’s abolustely no performance problems for file transfers when accessing to a network drive)?

Why is the WD Backup utility (Memeo)  so resource hungry ? It constantly saves too many temporary files and stores many copies of them, unless we enable the automatic deletion? We can’t really configure exclusions after a backup plan has been created. This is stupid design: a backup plan should be modifiable, without having to recreate it from scratch, or multiplying the number of plans for specific folders.

Mionet simply does not work at all, it has absolutely no value and the 30 days trial period offers no benefit except concluding that it fails for everything.

The media server also is highly bogous (it cannot play lots of common media files, notably HD video formats, OGG Vorbis audio, Real Audio/ Real Video, most Quicktime formats, most MPEG4 formats, even MPEG2 formats fail. MP3 even have their bugs, despite they can play perfectly in all player applications installed on a PC (on various Windows versions), or when they can be easily copied without reencoding to a USB drive that will be played correctly on very cheap mobile players. This “Twonky Media Player” is not a serious software, it is just a toy and its performances are really poor (in addition to being a closed software, with very poor quality, and full of unnecessary restrictions).

And the DLNA support is bogous (it won’t run with almost all others DLNA renderers such as Philips HDTV, and it can cause interruptions or failures due to incorrect encoding by its embedded streaming codecs, in all meida plyer softwares (Windows Media, Real Networks, iTunes, WinAmp…). It doesnot support some standard meta tags embedded in media files, and cause them to not be played at all. Really, the embedded “Twonky Media Server” stinks…

The UPnP configuration is also bogous (it does not properly install the device driver in Windows Vista, and we get lots of non working hidden devices accumulating in the Device manager at each boot, and exclamation marks when the visible device needs to be constantly reinstalled without reasons: probably a lack of valid driver signature.

The HTTPS configuration does not worl: the generated certifcate is simply invalid for this use and even if it has a valid format, it just identifies a user name with his email, and is unusable for identifying the web service itself (so IE, or Firefox, or Chrome, or Safari immediately strongly suggest to avoid any connection to this, and IE will also not accept to store session data: so MyBookWorldEd cannot serve most pages as it wants each time that we logon again to go only to the menu page.

This firmware is clearly incomaptible with IE8 (which is the default in US versions of Windows7), IE7 is no longer a good option for XP or Vista (all my Vista PCs are now upgrades to IE8, even if this is no longer the default browser). The software installer (WD Discovery) absolutely wants to lauch IE and nothing else (even if IE does not work or if it is not even installed at all on European editions of Windows7).

The oline Mionet Java applet also has severe security issues (and incompatibilities with the more restricted security constraints checked by current versions of the Java JRE). The fact this it uses Java is irrelevant to the problem because the same would apply to restrictions that are now applied to all networking-capable softwares (of the OS or in browsers, or in browser plugins, or in media players/readers).

In fact, WD just starts making some adjustments for Vista only, when Windows 7 is already there (and stable since many months since at least one year  in its release candidates). WD is very late by still not supporting Windows 7 (despite it would also have benefited to Vista users).

I wonder if I will not simply erase the firmware to install another alternative Kernel with better quality software (including a true installation of Apache for better response time) .

MioNet will not be there, but given that it already does not work, why would I keep any subquality WD software on the NAS or on my PCs? All this with another conclusion: this products does not merit its price, it clearly desserves the image of Western Digital : may be a good disk, but really this is all but an easy to use product, and it is subperforming (in addition to being non extensible).

Really, WD needs to better test its softwares, and start some complete debugging session with qualified engineers. Almost all the advertized supported features actually don’t work. Only one thing works: the harddrive. But if I had to buy a harddrive alone, I would not have paid so much for this subquality product that simply makes things even more complicate than using just a harddrive in a decent diskless NAS. One conclusion: WD is probably a good harddisk manufacturer but it has still no competence in adapting them for networking and for web&media applications… it has just demonstrated that it was a realy poor software company.