MyBookLive will not go into standby

MyBookLive works OK, except it will not go into standby. The blue light comes on at power-up but from then on the green light is always on, with the odd flicker every few seconds, to indicate disc activity.

I can switch off the computer and all the other peripherals (except the router, as that shows the white light for loss of network) but the blue standby light never comes on. The disc runs continuously.

Any ideas?

I’m having the same problem. I have it set up to go into standby after 10 minutes, but no dice.

Further to my original post, I remember that it used to go into standby about two issues of the software ago, but I am the latest version and no joy.

It is as if there is some program running on it that causes the green light to flicker between 3 to 10 seconds. Also, my Billion router shows network and internet activity every few seconds as well, even though my computer and all other equipment is off.

Done all the usual things, re-loaded software , etc.

Just wondered if the time software is visiting the internet every few seconds to get the time.

Otherwise, no clues.

I have asked WD about it, but their reply was not applicable.

AMAZING

My drive now goes into standby. Why does it work all of a sudden (without me doing anything)?

Hmmmmm!

My last suspicion was the software that reports usage back to WD. Have they killed it off?

If, so many thanks anyway.

After the upgrade, we re-transcode your photos in the Public/Shared Pictures directory. Once that is done, the drive will go into standby.

So does that mean one should expect MBL to keep itself working busy for a while after every firmware upgrade and that we should not worry about it?

WDTony wrote:

After the upgrade, we re-transcode your photos in the Public/Shared Pictures directory. Once that is done, the drive will go into standby.

Well typically after a firmware upgrade, we don’t re-transcode the photos. However; with the changeover from from MioNet to WD 2go, we had to recreate everything, so the reason for it taking longer.

Well, I just bought this HDD and I’ve never been able to get it into standby mode. Upgraded the firmware and have the latest version of WD Smartware installed. Any ideas?

I was able to get my new my book live to succesfully sleep by turning off the “remote access” function (I never had photos on the drive, only videos and music, so it wasn’t an issue of transcoding that was preventing it from sleeping).