MyBookLive Duo drives unrecognizable - spin, whir, buzz sound

I had something rather disappointing happen the other day.

My fairly new MyBookLive Duo 6TB system configured as a 3TB mirrored RAID failed on both drives simultaneously and I want to know if anyone else has seen a similar problem and a recovery solution.

I have lost around 2TB of data as a result as I apparently put too much confidence in this system as a mirrored backup for all my critical business and personal documents.

Kroll Ontrack is attempting recovery but claims first drive tested had no data on it. So I’m freaking out a bit.

Here’s the sequence of events…

1. few months ago - Installed drive, set up RAID Mirror, configured volumes and migrated 2TB of data from other drives

2. let it sit for months rarely adding data

3. The other weekend I noticed it was making sounds like data read was going on even though network was idle. It should have been in standby mode. It felt warm so I shut it off for a half hour

4. When I booted it back up it no longer showed up in the dashboard or on network. Light appeared green but could have been yellow - hard to tell. And it was making an odd startup noise (not clicking)

5. I attempted a reset procedure with no change

6. Pulled one drive out and tried connecting it to a system via a USB cable and it wasn’t recognized at all

When listening to drive when access is attempted I get the following…

• about 1-2 second whirr spin up sound
  • followed by a kind of buzz sound (like a brake being applied - drive spin stops)
  • then immediately a kind of chirp or different tone buzz
  • then it would pause for a second repeat about 15 times

I’ve had drive failures that clicked but never anything making an odd sound like this.

Anybody out there have any insights or repeat occurences of these same symptoms?

Recovery of data is #1 concern - Is drive login/security/encryption blocking recovery attempts

Replacing my RAID mirrored backup with a viable solid platform is next priority

bnelson wrote:

I had something rather disappointing happen the other day.

My fairly new MyBookLive Duo 6TB system configured as a 3TB mirrored RAID failed on both drives simultaneously and I want to know if anyone else has seen a similar problem and a recovery solution.

I have lost around 2TB of data as a result as I apparently put too much confidence in this system as a mirrored backup for all my critical business and personal documents.

Kroll Ontrack is attempting recovery but claims first drive tested had no data on it. So I’m freaking out a bit.

Here’s the sequence of events…

1. few months ago - Installed drive, set up RAID Mirror, configured volumes and migrated 2TB of data from other drives
  1. let it sit for months rarely adding data
  1. The other weekend I noticed it was making sounds like data read was going on even though network was idle. It should have been in standby mode. It felt warm so I shut it off for a half hour
  1. When I booted it back up it no longer showed up in the dashboard or on network. Light appeared green but could have been yellow - hard to tell. And it was making an odd startup noise (not clicking)
  1. I attempted a reset procedure with no change
  1. Pulled one drive out and tried connecting it to a system via a USB cable and it wasn’t recognized at all

When listening to drive when access is attempted I get the following…

• about 1-2 second whirr spin up sound
  • followed by a kind of buzz sound (like a brake being applied - drive spin stops)
  • then immediately a kind of chirp or different tone buzz
  • then it would pause for a second repeat about 15 times

I’ve had drive failures that clicked but never anything making an odd sound like this.

Anybody out there have any insights or repeat occurences of these same symptoms?

Recovery of data is #1 concern - Is drive login/security/encryption blocking recovery attempts

Replacing my RAID mirrored backup with a viable solid platform is next priority

I’d call WD about the replacement and maybe checking out the unit, but the drives are not encrypted on the duo (Just formatted EXT3), I can even pull out my mirror drives and connect them to Fedora and they mount just fine, so it sounds to me like something really messed up the drives if not even that works.

On the old MBW boards in here there was a sticky tutorial for recovery a RAID 1 volume, and should work for all WD NAS.

Thanks for your response.

Too bad to hear there’s not a proprietary format on these. I was hoping the recovery guys just weren’t using the right tool to scan the drive.

I’m still waiting to hear all the details back from KrollOntrack but prelim diagnosis jsut in is that both drives had “mangled” drive heads. Not sure exactly what that means or how two drives spontaneously combust at the same time like that but it doesn’t sound good.

Surface scan on first drive had multiple issues on all surfaces with no recoverable data. I’m holding my breath on the 2nd drive.

I’m in denial about the preliminary findings though. This has to be the most extreme fluke. Perhaps I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Any other similar stories or tips would be appreciated. I’m sure WD will send me a new unit after this but I’m not sure I would want to use it nor the Green drives they are putting in them if this sort of thing is happening out there.

bnelson wrote:

Thanks for your response.

Too bad to hear there’s not a proprietary format on these. I was hoping the recovery guys just weren’t using the right tool to scan the drive.

I’m still waiting to hear all the details back from KrollOntrack but prelim diagnosis jsut in is that both drives had “mangled” drive heads. Not sure exactly what that means or how two drives spontaneously combust at the same time like that but it doesn’t sound good.

Surface scan on first drive had multiple issues on all surfaces with no recoverable data. I’m holding my breath on the 2nd drive.

I’m in denial about the preliminary findings though. This has to be the most extreme fluke. Perhaps I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Any other similar stories or tips would be appreciated. I’m sure WD will send me a new unit after this but I’m not sure I would want to use it nor the Green drives they are putting in them if this sort of thing is happening out there.

I hear you, Green drives are not the best option for a NAS. BTW I was looking for that sticky and couldn’t find it on the mixed board for the SS and MBW (I didn’t know I was gone for so long). Maybe a mod can help you find out what happened to that thread?