MyBookLive accessing files requires a user name and password

Little Sister,

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have three drives mapped to your system. I have had problems with Windows getting confused over mapped drive credentials in the past.

Do any of your other drives require a user name and password to log into?

pcjoe, do you have any other mappings as well?

No, I have no other mappings. It has something to do with WebDAV and the way Office opens files stored on a server. It is ridiculous that WD don’t have a fix for this.

pcjoe wrote:

It is ridiculous that WD don’t have a fix for this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019105

WD’s supposed to fix THAT?  I don’t think so.

I have already seen that article and what I mean by “a fix for this” is that WD should implement another method other than WebDAV as it is a necessity for a lot of people to to access and edit their documents remotely on a device they have paid for to do precisely that. I don’t remember this being an issue with Mionet and it isn’t an issue when using Dropbox, so why does it have to be an issue on WD’s My Book Live?

I do not have a problem login onto the drive, I just cannot open a file on the drive when accessing the drive remotely,  I have to copy and paste the file to my computer and then I can work on it.  But the people on this community site are not knowledgeable.  I got my answer to my issues directly from Western Digital.

Unfortunately the answers are not a fix.

What are you not clear on?  We can access the drive remotely but we cannot edit our files.

I want apologize to everyone.

The problem here is:

MyBookLive editing files requires a user name and password.

So what’s the problem, really?  If you provide the username and password when prompted, the file opens normally.

I just tried it.

I’m at work, my NAS is at home, logged into it via wd 2Go, and created three files:

My File.xlsx

My Preso.pptx

My Doc.docx

Edited those files, and saved them.

Logged out of wd2go and disconnected the shares.

Logged back in, opened the docs (provided the UserID and password when prompted), and voila, everything is normal.

BTW, my PC is Windows 7 Pro, and I’m using Office 2007.

There was never at any time during the set up a request to enter or setup a username and password to edit my files while being connected remotely, and there are other posts with this same issue on this forum and they have not been able to fix this issue.  So instead of telling me what you can do with yours why not try providing a fix for this problem.  And by the way this contradicts what Western Digital Support is reporting.

BTW, my computer is running Windows 7 64bit and I am using Microsoft Office 2010 64bit.  But I assure you this has nothing to do with it.

I do not know what the username and password is and do not know how to reset them.

Re: MyBookLive accessing files requires a user name and password

Monday - last edited Monday

Having the exact same problem when attempting to open and edit Microsoft Office files remotely via WD2Go. I get the same Windows Security screen with “Enter your credentials” come up.

Ok, I can copy them over to my computer first, edit them there and then copy them back but is that really the only way? There must be a way to get this to work properly. Can this authentication issue (which is only happening with Office files) be disabled in some way? or is there actually a username and password that I can enter that will work?

Someone please help

Joe

TonyPh1245 this gentleman has the same issues.

Nor do I know how to remove the username and password.  Since I cannot recall ever setting them up.

YourSister wrote:

So instead of telling me what you can do with yours why not try providing a fix for this problem.  And by the way this contradicts what Western Digital Support is reporting.

WD Says it’s a limitation of WebDAV.   WD is correct.   But WebDAV is ONLY used by WD 2Go, unless your PC connected to the MBL incorrectly.

You also keep mentioning that this is only a problem when you’re connecting REMOTELY.  So that’s WebDAV.  

If you’re connecting remotely using anything OTHER than WD 2Go, then I don’t know how you’re doing that, and I don’t know how to tell you how to fix it.

If you’re connecting remotely using WD 2Go, then you MUST have configured a password, because that’s the only way WD 2Go works:

When you set up Web Access on your MBL, you first had to pick a USER.   For example, My MBL is configured with Web Access with the user “admin.”  

and that USER has a PASSWORD, which can be set or reset, here:

So, if you didn’t go through these steps, then I have no clue how you could be accessing your files remotely, in which case, it’d be helpful if you explained exactly how you’re connecting to your MBL.

1 Like

YourSister wrote:

Remotely means from outside the local.  From a location not tethered.  Through the internet,  my only problem is remote no wires.  I am sitting in my chair in my dining room connected to the internet, and I have logged on to the WD2go,  and this is where I get the problem.  If I disconnect the WD2go, I connect to the MBL via my wireless router.  My MBL is hard wired to that router.  I have no problems with the wireless connection as far as using the MBL as an external hard drive.

Hold on a sec.

This isn’t making any sense at all:

Through the internet,  my only problem is remote no wires.

I am sitting in my chair in my dining room connected to the internet, and I have logged on to the WD2go

Why are you using WD2go when you’re at home??  Just connect to it directly.

See what I mean about you?  Now why would I be connecting to MyBookLive from home remotely?  To test the device!  I used a sprint hot spot to do this.  What is your problem?

I can access the drive, I cannot edit the files from the drive without removing them first - when connected remotely!  Just like this other person named Joe.  The username and password has something to do with windows security.  Look back through all the posts here and refresh your memory.

I posted a picture of the username and password box that pops up.  You really think that I did not try the username and password you are suggesting?  In the windows security, I never set a username and password.

I was being sarcastic with you in this post you mention.  Because you asked the question about the meaning of remote, like I did not know what the word means.

pcjoe,

Have you given up on this?  How can this guy Tony report that he can edit files from his MyBookLive and we cannot?

YourSister:  

What is my problem?   I don’t have a problem.  My MBL is working great.   You have the problem; both with your MBL, as well as how you’re interacting here.

People have asked you specific questions, and instead of answering, you give completely unrelated, contradictory, or irrelevent information.

I think you win the award for being the most combative and evasive person I’ve seen here!  :laughing:

You’re frequently contradicting yourself, which makes it very difficult for anyone to try to help you.

When your story keeps changing, it’s difficult for anyone to try to figure out WHAT you are doing.

You say:

There was never at any time during the set up a request to enter or setup a username and password 

and

I do not know what the username and password is and do not know how to reset them.

Then, when I tell you what the username and password is, and where you configured it, you say:

You really think that I did not try the username and password you are suggesting? 

What else would I think?  YOU specifically said you never did that!

In the windows security, I never set a username and password.

There you go, contradicting yourself again.  You *DID* set it up, you just said you tried it!

Another contradiction:

You said:

Remotely means from outside the local.  From a location not tethered.

and then you change it:

I used a sprint hot spot to do this. 

That’s TETHERED!

You’re going to need to get your facts straight – How can anyone help you when you keep changing your story?

I also told you that the Screen Scrapes you’re posting do NOT look like a remote connection – yet another contradiction.

Why?   Because a URL of this form:

\192.168.1.5\Public

is NOT a REMOTE WD 2Go connection.  That is a LOCAL connection.

I showed you that a correct WD 2Go connection would look like this:

(DeviceName)-devicexxxx.wd2go.com\sharename

and you then just say 

this screen print shot did not come from computer.

Great.  That doesn’t help at all.

PCJoe’s Screen-shot *DOES* look like a WD2Go connection.   I’m curious to see how he fairs now.

You say:

>> The username and password has something to do with windows security. 

>> Look back through all the posts here and refresh your memory.

Yes, it *IS* Windows Security, because the NAS is asking for Credentials, and that’s what Windows does when the storage requires authentication (which is WD2Go).   And my memory is fine; if you notice, I’m QUOTING your posts in this thread, so I’m obviously reading them.

So the short answer is:   I am TRYING to help you.   But you are making it EXTREMELY difficult because you’re being evasive, unclear, combative, and in your own words, “sarcastic.”

1 Like

Wow. Just checked back to see if there had been sny more discussion on this and suprised to find so much talk and emotion on this.

Just to make things a bit clearer
 I do indeed have a username and password which i use to login to my drive through wd2go, which i set up when i first configured remore access on the drive. My username is my email address and my password is well, my password.

Everthing is fine in terms of accessing my files in explorer
 BUT if i try to open a microsoft office file, i get a windows security window appear asking me to enter credentials. (See screenshot from my first post). The username and password i use to login to my drive through wd2go do not work here.

Yes, i can copy the file over to my local drive and edit it there. Not only is that annoying but if i attempt to move it back onto the remote drive by overwriting and replacing, i get an error message as this doesn’t work either. I have to rename the file first then move it back onto the remote drive.

So is there a windows security username and password i can use when trying to open office files or can i connect to the drive in some way other than webdav, which is what’s apparently causing this issue?

Thanks

Joe

Joe, it’s not asking for the WD2Go login info.   So don’t provide that info.

It’s asking for the MBL USER login info.

Go back and look at post 34 in this thread for how that is determined.

For example, since I associated my WD2Go account to the MBL’s “admin” account, when I’m asked (by Windows) for the UID and PW when accessing an MS Office file, I enter:

User Name:   admin

Password:   (The password for the admin user as configured on the MBL).