MyBookLive accessing files requires a user name and password

Hi,

When I attempt to access a file I am always prompted to enter a username and password, for which I have none.

This is only when I attempt to access my files remotely.

WD support had me do a Factory Restore, which did not help as the problem still exists.

If I cannot access / or work with my files remotely then this device is useless to me.

What are you using for remote access? MBL has built-in support for WD2Go.  To have this option available you need to update it to its latest firmware, you will only need to provide your credentials once, not everytime you open a file.

How to update the firmware on a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo

How to access files on a My Book Live using WD 2go on a mobile device  

Please read carefully,

When I attempt to access a file I am always prompted to enter a username and password, for which I have none.

This is only when I attempt to access my files remotely.

WD support had me do a Factory Restore, which did not help as the problem still exists.

If I cannot access / or work with my files remotely then this device is useless to me.

Sorry but everything you suggest has been completed.  I might just be not too bright, cannot find the instructions anywhere to do a step by step by the numbers setup, so maybe I stepped left when I should have stepped right, idk.

Sister, you need to read carefully, too.  :)

A question that was asked was how are you accessing your files remotely?   

“What are you using for remote access?”  To access my files?  A computer, lap top, notebook, Sony VAIO, w/windows 7, 64 bit upgrade.  Built in support? Where!?

Firmware:  MyBookLive  02.10.09-124 : Core F/W

“you will only need to provide your credentials once, not everytime you open a file”

if only this were true, I would be so happy.  Maybe the problem is …

i get to the share and see my files, so as i need to work, i click on a file, any file it does not matter and then…

“Windows Security”

You said:

“This is only when I attempt to access my files remotely.”

In the context of NAS world, remotely means from outside your own network, or in most cases, outside your HOME network.

We’re inferring that means that you have no problems when you’re accessing those same files locally.  

So we’re trying to understand exactly HOW you’re accessing your files remotely versus how you’re doing it locally.

By the way, because of your low post count, we cannot see any images you post until a moderator approves them.

I hope some of this helps, as you can see I have 2 MBL(s), one is on the wireless home network and the other is through WD2go.

Remotely means from outside the local.  From a location not tethered.  Through the internet,  my only problem is remote no wires.  I am sitting in my chair in my dining room connected to the internet, and I have logged on to the WD2go,  and this is where I get the problem.  If I disconnect the WD2go, I connect to the MBL via my wireless router.  My MBL is hard wired to that router.  I have no problems with the wireless connection as far as using the MBL as an external hard drive.

By the way, because of your low post count, we cannot see any images you post until a moderator approves them.

oh well, you mean a moderator gets to look first?

Actually, I came here to see if someone could provide an answer to this problem.  I have read quite a bit here before I posted, and there are a few others with this problem, but I have not found a solution.  I bought his device to store files and whatever my family wants to put on the device, but if I cannot sit in my truck while I am working somewhere 20 miles from where I live and access a file that I have stored on this device and work with the file by opening it from the MBL then it isn’t really useful to me.  I am not saying the MBL is the problem, it appears to spin just fine.

"We’re inferring that means that you have no problems when you’re accessing those same files locally. "

Correct, that would be locally.

My problem is remotely.

You are inferring that I do not know the definition of remotely or the difference between local and remote.

I am sorry Tony,

because you and I are here, there is no other world but NAS.  We are not here to discuss Easter.

:smileyvery-happy:Why with my Comcast DVR remote that’s how.

I step out of my house and point my remote at the MBL and hope that it works.

It’s probably just a networking issue relate to windows 7, I guess I will just call WD support again tomorrow and maybe I will get lucky and get some very nice knowledgeable person who can help me out, thanks anyway.  It was fun.

The screenscrapes you posted (which are now visible) don’t look like a WD2Go connection.

They look like a regular connection, not remote-access via WD2Go, which looks like this:

Note that the URI in my example is actually an SSL/WebDav connection to the MBL, not a direct URI to the MBL as shown in yours.

this screen print shot did not come from computer.

Tony,

FYI and anyone else that has this problem:

Western Digital Support - level 2 tells me this:  the issue is related to Microsoft and WebDAV.

So I cannot access a file I need to edit without copying the file first to my computer (which I can do).  Windows 7 64Bit

If someone knows a workaround to this, I would be very thankful.

So for now I will have those files on a flash drive, and if I need something I can always just copy or move it to the computer I am working from remotely.

Having the exact same problem when attempting to open and edit Microsoft Office files remotely via WD2Go. I get the same Windows Security screen with “Enter your credentials” come up.

Ok, I can copy them over to my computer first, edit them there and then copy them back but is that really the only way? There must be a way to get this to work properly. Can this authentication issue (which is only happening with Office files) be disabled in some way? or is there actually a username and password that I can enter that will work?

Someone please help…

Joe