Mybook WE II extremely slow

My WE II seems to get slower and slower. Transferring a file of 160MB takes 100 seconds!!

I also have connected a WD TV in my network since september last year. At first it all worked fine, but now the system is too slow too play videos via the WDTV.

When I enter the setup menu of WD WE II, every menu option takes up to 15 seconds before I get a response. What’s wrong here??

(Both WD WEII and WD TV live run latest firmware)

If you are using the supplied network cable, it may be the issue. Swap it with a decent cable and your performance should improve. i got this snippit from the link below.

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GadgetBlog/comments/review_mybook_world_edition_ii/

Afraid the news is worse than just the cable.  I cannot find the link again right now, but there is a posting on one of the forums (not this one) that includes a reply from WD that if you have the BLUE LIGHT edition (like me) then although the box says GIGABYTE ETHERNET on it clearly, actually it’s just able to work on a gigbyte ethernet system - the on board cpu can only manage 100 Mbps - i.e. rather worse that USB 1.1.

I bought mine when it first came out seeking to future-proof by system (I did not have 1000Mbps links all round until recently) and now have found the drive us virtually useless for the purpose I got it.  I have complained to WD since I believe there is trades description act issue here.   I await a response!

Paul

Bertduursma,  if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

Millerdark wrote:

If you are using the supplied network cable, it may be the issue. Swap it with a decent cable and your performance should improve. i got this snippit from the link below.

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GadgetBlog/comments/review_mybook_world_edition_ii/

I changed cables on my WD MyBook II (2TB) version,  white light, and the speed increased in both uploads and downloads.  I can download from the NAS (via FileZilla FTP program) at between 65-75 MB/s, and upload at between 18Mbps - 23MB/s.  Very impressed with the speed, but really before I changed the cable it was 15MB/s up and 55MB/s down.  So it does make a difference.  Thanks for the info…

Regards

What kind of cable did you put ? I tried cat6 , cat5e cables, but my speed remians same - 12/18 MB/s.

xpressit wrote:

Millerdark wrote:

I changed cables on my WD MyBook II (2TB) version,  white light, and the speed increased in both uploads and downloads.  I can download from the NAS (via FileZilla FTP program) at between 65-75 MB/s, and upload at between 18Mbps - 23MB/s.  Very impressed with the speed, but really before I changed the cable it was 15MB/s up and 55MB/s down.  So it does make a difference.  Thanks for the info…

Regards

Usually people use “Mbps” to mean megabits per second, and “MBps” to mean megabytes per second.  It’s not possible for an MBWE WL to achieve 65 megabytes per second, so I think you must mean megabits.  This is confusing since you used “B” and because we mostly talk about megabytes for NAS transfer rates.

Also, the only time the cable will make a difference is if you use a 4 wire (2 pair cable), which will only work at 100Mbits/second.  To get gigabit you need an 8 wire (4 pair) cable.  The WDC supplied cable is 8 wire, so it will work fine.

Bertduursma wrote:

My WE II seems to get slower and slower. Transferring a file of 160MB takes 100 seconds!!

I also have connected a WD TV in my network since september last year. At first it all worked fine, but now the system is too slow too play videos via the WDTV.

When I enter the setup menu of WD WE II, every menu option takes up to 15 seconds before I get a response. What’s wrong here??

(Both WD WEII and WD TV live run latest firmware)

Very important: login with ssh and check the system message log with the dmesg command, and by looking at

/var/log/messages.  A slowdown like this could be the result of disk read errors.

You can also use the top command to see if there is a process using an unusual amount of CPU or memory.