MyBook PRO EDITON WON'T SHOW ON DESKTOP

I have an iMac- MAC OS X Version 10.5.8

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

MyBook PRO EDITON 500 GB [A FIREWIRE CONNECTION]

MY PROBLEM STARTED WHEN MY COMPUTER WOULDN’T RESPOND, I WAS GETTING THE SPINNING SYMBOL INSTEAD OF THE CURSOR.  SO I  TRIED TO RESTART THE COMPUTER ABOUT 3-4 TIMES BUT JUST GOT A WHITE SCREEN.  I DISCONNECTED THE “MY BOOK”  WHICH IS PLUGGED IN THRU A FIREWIRE CONNECTION. & STARTED UP THE COMPUTER.  I WAS SUCCESSFUL.  IT STARTED WITHOUT A PROBLEM.  SO I RAN THE DISK UTILITY ON THE HARD DRIVE & EVERYTHING IS FINE.  SO I TRIED PLUGGING IN THE MY BOOK & IT DOES NOT APPEAR ON MY DESKTOP.  THE BLUE RINGS  ARE NOT LIT.  HOW DO I GET THIS TO START RUNNING AGAIN.

I NEVER UNPLUGGED THE POWER SUPPLY.

HELP??  & PLEASE KEEP IT SIMPLE…:wink: THANKS~

hi thr,

try connecting the power adapter to the different outlet …and try formatting the drive to hfs+ from disk utility

and pls. try with usb cable

I am tech stupid …:wink:

I tried to use Disk Utility, but it does not give me the option, it is not there.

OK, I replace the power cord & switched to USB, & the blue ring lights appeared on, but the MY BOOK didn’t appear on my desktop. 

So I then went back to the original power cord & stayed with the USB, same thing, had power, not on desktop.

I then went back to the original firewire connection, started up the computer & now My Book is on my desktop!

Have no clue why?  But it works!!:smiley:

Maybe EVERYTHING needed to be disconnected??

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it~

It seems like I am still having a problem with this external HD.  It still seems to be freezing my computer.

I switched to usb,  had it for a while then it disappeared off the desktop.

Something it not right.

WHere can I email tech support without having to add a RMA #

:angry:

Getting very frustrated.

hi,

seems your hard drive have problem with firmware or something. can you check it on others PC?  or have you directly connect with PC? does it can be recognized or no? 

[text deleted] 

This is whats  happening

…I disconnect both cords in back(usb & power cord) then reconnect.  Then it appears on my desktop.  The light starts spinning again.

I’ve been trying to copy photos off of there.  Could the external drive crash?  Once I copy a few folders onto my MAC HD it starts giving me problems & then I lose it again.

I am not sure if there is a virus causing this.  I have to find out if my MAC has an anti Virus protection built in.  I thought there was, I never had a problem b/4.

ReeRee,

I wonder if this is Heat issue.  If heat issue and fan doesn’t turn on it may try to shutdown to cool itself down.

Does your fan ever come on recently?

Please try on another computer to rule out not your computer issue.

Good luck.