MyBook Overheating - suggestion

I just installed MyBook live, and have it, and all of my electronics in a cabinet, to keep them out of sight.  As you can imagine, MyBook overheated and shut down.

After years, and years of messy cords and wires showing everywhere, I had a cabinet built to store routers, modems, and all TV items and while there is sufficient air flow to take care of all of them, the MyBook seems to heat up much faster than the others.  Nothing is stacked, but what makes this impossible to move is that MyBook must be tethered to the router.

Everything else in the house is wireless, and therefore keeps the heat down in the cabinet.

Asking the WD designers and techies;  can you create a wireless MyBook?  That way, I can place it somewhere, out of the way, and give it all the airflow it needs.

Thanks

The hard drive spinning is the big difference between the NAS and the other hardware in your closet, such as the router and modem.

Try to locate the NAS as low as possible to the bottom of the closet, as heat rises.

I would also try a small fan in there if possible.

If those do not work, you can try a Ethernet to Wireless Adapter. I have never use one of those, however, be aware, there is a significant speed difference between wired vs wireless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diHHoN3XPWM

And last, which is more of an advance solution, you might be able to play with the fan settings. The MBL has Debian Linux underneath. No idea where to start but I’m sure there is a conf file somewhere. Linux forums should have the answer.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I reconfigured the cabinet, and made a taller shelf for the MyBook alone, so that it could stand  up (like a book) and get better airflow … previously I’d had it on it’s side.    I did put it on the bottom, and have been monitoring for the last two days, and so far, no overheating.  I was thinking about getting one of those little bitty fans, if this didn’t work.  I may get one anyway, for the hotter, summer months.  

So far so good.  

I’m game to try most tweaks, but not sure I’d wanna mess with the fan.  I haven’t experimented with Linux yet

oh, yeah, well, look at where the vents are, it’s desgined to be set like a book.

Shabuboy wrote:

The hard drive spinning is the big difference between the NAS and the other hardware in your closet, such as the router and modem.

Try to locate the NAS as low as possible to the bottom of the closet, as heat rises.

I would also try a small fan in there if possible.

If those do not work, you can try a Ethernet to Wireless Adapter. I have never use one of those, however, be aware, there is a significant speed difference between wired vs wireless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diHHoN3XPWM

And last, which is more of an advance solution, you might be able to play with the fan settings. The MBL has Debian Linux underneath. No idea where to start but I’m sure there is a conf file somewhere. Linux forums should have the answer.

Not sure what fan setting you’re referring to, since I don’t think the MBL has a fan.

DOH! I think you are right!!! That is why I said “advance” user. hahahahaha!