MyBook not shown in Smartware

MyBook device is not displayed in Smartware Home tab.
It DOES appear in WD Drive Utilities and passes all 3 tests.
Drive IS listed in W>Computer .
What do I do to have MyBook displayed in Smartware Home tab?

bob831,

Some things to try.

Do you have “CD Drive (x:) WD Unlocker” in the drive list? Where x: is some drive letter. If so, try opening the drive and using “WD Drive Unlock.exe”.

Does your MyBook show up in the Backup Source drop down list?

Do you have the latest version of WD SmartWare? Downloads shows latest version as 2.4.16 6/21/2016.

There is also WD SmartWare Pro. My version is 2.4.20.5. Don’t know how I got it! Or latest version.

Cliff

Cliff,
Do you have “CD Drive (x:) WD Unlocker” in the drive list? Where x: is some drive letter. If so, try opening the drive and using “WD Drive Unlock.exe”.
No. W>Computer produces a drive list that includes “WD4TB2-2017 (E:) which is my WD MyBook. Opening that drive make available the folders and files.
Does your MyBook show up in the Backup Source drop down list?
My Smartware display Backup tab is dimmed. MyBook WD4TB2-2017 (E:) is not shown in the Backup Target display.
Do you have the latest version of WD SmartWare? Downloads shows latest version as 2.4.16 6/21/2016.
There is also WD SmartWare Pro. My version is 2.4.20.5. Don’t know how I got it! Or latest version.
Help>About your software indicatesam using Version 2.4.20.5
Seems significant that WD Drive Utilities displays the MYBook icon and does run and pass the 3 tests on my WD drive. But Smartware does not see the WD drive!!
Thanks for sticking with this Cliff.
Bob

Bob,

OK, then maybe you need to use WD Backup. There is confusion on which software works for which drive type. Under Downloads, MyBook is shown for both WD Smartware and WD Backup. And I saw a note that some of the newer drives MUST use only the specific software, but I don’t know which goes with which! I know my Passport seems to work on either WD Smartware or WD Backup.

Also, if I look under my Computer Management and Services and Applications, I do NOT find WD Smartware listed, but there is a WD Backup listed with Description: WD Smartware Backup Engine and WD Drive Manager: Provides discovery of WD Drives.

Western Digital documentation needs a lot of improvement!

Cliff

Cliff,
OK. I’ve set up an automatic backup plan using WD Backup and it now reports that Last Backup was completed early this morning as scheduled! Thanks for sussing out that Smartware isn’t smart enough.
Last question: how can I look at the image of the backup files to confirm backup success?
Gratefully,
Bob

Bob,

The only suggestion have is to use Windows File Explorer. Not sure how this works with WD Backup, open the drive as in my first reply. Does that still show the folders and files? If not, then I’m stuck; not enough experience with WD Backup. If it shows the files, you should be able to open them.

Cliff