MyBook Lost all my data?

Bought MyBook Essential three weeks ago.  Installed it without problems.  I checked after the inital back up, all my files were there, all was good.  Tuesday my computer started acting up, I booted, it was dead.  Took it to a guy for retrival, he said my controller was shot, drive was shot.  He said he went to the MyBook to retrieve data, and there was nothing on it.  Nada.  Anyone have any idea how that could happen?  I was using the software which came with the drive to automatically back up (I know I know bad me).  I could understand how maybe the auto download failed, but I have a hard time believing my intial data is gone too.  Thoughts?  Called WD support, was told its impossible for it to have erased itself.  Wondering if maybe my computer guy is wrong?

Nope I’m having the same exact issue I have replaced the drive once about a month ago and it looks like IM going to have to do it again.  This is really getting old a drive failing after a month I’m really not happy with this I’ve never had an issue with a western digital hard drive internal or external but replacing the same drive twice is just ridiculous and makes me want to rethink what drive I’m buying and maybe go with a different company.

Got exactly the same problem.

Just bought a MyBook 2T this week

Changed the root password, has enabled SSH transfer, and created few directories under shares.

Then I launched a copy of almost 100GB data from a local HD to MyBook

This morning, when I came to my PC, I founded the message:

Warning: Unknown(): write wrote less bytes than requested in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Some files were there, but some, corrupted. I have to say that I had made multiple file transfer simultaneously. Maybe it has help to get this failure, despite it shouldn’t happen. Maybe a problem with my network configuration, I don’t know.

I made a reboot and nothing anymore exists under shares, but still under the DataVolume.

It’s quite scarrying.

Then managed MyBook from its web interface, creating users, group and defining rights for them.

Doesn’t seems to be a way to create sub-directories from the web interface, so created them through a SSH session.

Then I have transferred few files, directly under DataVolume this time. I made few rebbot just to test if anything disappear, but everything was there. I will see how stable it is over time before transferring more critical data into MyBook. But I guess it should be ok.

Just to mention that I am not using the WD tools. I am also use Ubuntu. My LAN is of 100Mbits/s but the max transfer rate I was able to have was 650 KB/s. Not that much, when through the same LAN, my internet connection allows to download file at 2MB/s.

My conclusion is: If MyBookis really stable, it is still a good “NAS” like, and I won’t regret at all having invested in it.

I am just cautious for now, but hopfully, everything will goes fine.

Good Luck

John

Hi

it clearly seems that transfering a too large amount of data lead to an error.

Transfering chunk of data of 1GB or so at time seems to work fine.

But the transfer rate is low, between 450 KB/sec on average.

Cheers

Same thing happened to me.  I lost 7 years of photos, data, my portfolio, everything because of this.  I am going to call, and see if they try to give me the same excuse.  This has happened 4 times.  This is devastating to me personally and financially.  I was in between restores and all my backups were on there.  I lost client work.  I can’t get this stuff back because my computer was being restored.  The device was not connect to my computer while I restored it, not like that would matter, but, everything I had is gone.  

CMatsoukis wrote:

Same thing happened to me.  I lost 7 years of photos, data, my portfolio, everything because of this.  I am going to call, and see if they try to give me the same excuse.  This has happened 4 times.  This is devastating to me personally and financially.  I was in between restores and all my backups were on there.  I lost client work.  I can’t get this stuff back because my computer was being restored.  The device was not connect to my computer while I restored it, not like that would matter, but, everything I had is gone.  

Not everything is lost. If you can get Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Professional you can recover all your data if it was written to HDD. The only problem here is the PRICE of Easeus, the rest is technicalities. I was able to recover data from repartitioned and formatted HDD with this tool:stuck_out_tongue:

Just another $0.02

I believe the software was released as freeware, at least for a while.

EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard 5.0.1:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/EASEUS_Data_Recovery_Wizard_d6336.html

i have the same problem. i shut out the hd normally, then after 3 hours i connected to the laptop and didn’t work, it says to me that needs to be formatted. it didn’t receive hits no falls no nothing just like magic all data (1.2 t) disappear

help meeeeeeeeeeeeee

solution for when the shares dont want to mount:

first get a linux live dvd my fav is knoppix linux

then take the drive out of the mybook world or any other wd that has 1 drive

put that sata drive in your pc make sure your bios can handle 1 tb and up

start the live linux dvd

when loaded open the command interface cli or whatever it is called in your linux

type su press enter

type mkdir /mnt/wd press enter

now type fdisk -l (lowercase L) press enter

it willl list the partitions

the biggests most likely the last one you need

most likely it be called sdb 1 to 4

now type this on 1 line mount -t xfs -o nouuid /dev/sbd4 /mnt/wd press enter

and your raid partition is mounted

now in the linux desktop open home

press the button that brings you to the former folder till you get to the / folder

then go in the mnt folder then double click the wd folder and there are your shares ready to transfer your files to your local drive.

it is that easy dont wait for wd support they dont know what they are doing my way works wonders

I have the same issue.  All my data was backed up and available for a year or more, then when I went to backup the computer again yesterday as recommended prior to a new software install, I got an error message saying that the backup had failed and there was possible data loss.  The data I was backing up wasn’t lost, but all the data on the MyBook is now gone and I get the message that the MyBook is not formatted and needs to be reformatted.  This MyBook had the backups from all our other computers – current and from previous computers.  Lost all documents, photos, family history, etc.  This isn’t acceptable.  WD needs to find a way for us to recover our data from WD MyBook if it is this prevalent.  I was using WD software backup to do the backup!  This is totally inexcusable.  I know #$%& happens, but if it is their software and their product causing the issue, we need some recourse for recovering our important data.  We entrusted our data to them for back up, not for destruction!

Have you checked Disk Management to see if the drive shows up there?  If so, it’s possible that the partition got corrupted.  Data corruption can happen any number of ways:

• Bad data cable
  • Power fluctuations
  • Insufficient power
  • Damaged or corrupted files can affect other files or corrupt/damage the partition
  • Damaged/corrupted drivers for ports
  • Bad/damaged port (USB/FireWire/SATA)
  • Problems with Windows if the OS is not working correctly
  • Viruses
  • Spyware
  • Unsafely removing/ejecting a drive

If this is the case, you may be able to use partition recovery software to restore the partition and access the data.  However, if certain files were corrupted, and they’re responsible for the partition/file corruption, then you most likely won’t be able to restore those files.  You can also go to a data recovery company and have them do it for you.