MyBook Live NAS

I really want to know why WD produces a network storage device and does not support server operating systems.  Really…what is the purpose of using distributor channels that sell these network storage devices to IT professionals who work primarily with professional companies using networks (i.e. servers, active directory, etc).  This is the most frustrating experience I think I have ever had with a product.

It’s a horses for courses thing. Some organisations don’t need a fully fledged server but just quick shared storage that does not clock-up the electriciy meter quick.y.

For example…   There may be a small company who has 25 computers and don’t want the expense and complication of maintaining a full server. They’ll get a NAS. Also for the fact what Windows XP only allows a maximum of 10 network connections into it where the NAS will allow a lot more.

The world’s also got money problems so it a lot more attractive to be able tyo get a drive in a box, connected it to the network, configure it and then simply forget about it 99% of the time.

Not too long ago I helped a friend with the issue of of installing a server and in the end opted for an Iomega StorStation. It’s RAID 10 configured so if one hard disc dies then all is not lost and all they need to remember is to connect and turn on a removable USB hard disc before the office shuts as the NAS automatically does a back-up overnight.  Printers are shared through the computers.  Works well and not a lot of electricity is guzzled.  (Over time it does add-up.)