Mybook live 3TB and Smartware issues

I have a new 3TB Mybook live on my Windows 8 computer.

On installation I save my pictures and music to the correct shares and installed W2Go on my iPad and that works fine, all the time, wherever I am.

However, I then wanted to also use Smartware to backup the computer.  The software installs and finds the mybook live, but then after about 2 minutes the mybook live disappears from the software as a destination and also from “computer” in file explorer, but remains in “network”.

I have tried removing it from devices in the control panel and then rediscovering it again, but that takes a whole evening and then its gone again in two minutes. 

Any, not to technical, solutions or opinions?

Make sure the firewall or internet security is not blocking the drive.

Try mapping the drive and then run the backup.

Mapping a My Book Live, My Book Live Duo, WD TV Live Hub, WD ShareSpace or My Book World on a Windows PC

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2676

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried this but I am not sure if I did it correctly and it has not solved the issue.

I only have the Windows Firewall and I turned it off briefly and that made no difference.  I have no other security.

The article refers to downloading WD Link but when I follow the link to the download page this is not available.  Perhaps there is no version for Windows 8?

However I did try mapping the drive.  I chose Z as the letter.  I was not sure which folder to select so chose the WD SmartWare folder.   This now appears under my computer but SmartWare still cannot see the drive.

I have screenshots I can send if you would like.

Any other suggestions?

Ian

Apologies

I tried rebooting the computer and this seems to have solved the original issue.

However, as the backup that I began a few days ago was disrupted when the drive disappeared I cannot persuade the backup to restart.

Any suggestions?

Ian

You can try stopping the backup and then running it again.

I regret that the solution did not solve the issue after all. 

Originally the mybook would be recongnised for about 1-2 minutes and would then go,  WIth the mapping of the drive it is now present for 10 minutes or so before it disapears.  During that 10 minutes I cannot persuade it to backup.

I was too swift with my accpetance of the solution.

Any other ideas?

Ian

OldIan wrote:

I regret that the solution did not solve the issue after all. 

Originally the mybook would be recongnised for about 1-2 minutes and would then go,  WIth the mapping of the drive it is now present for 10 minutes or so before it disapears.  During that 10 minutes I cannot persuade it to backup.

I was too swift with my accpetance of the solution.

Any other ideas?

Ian

Please check your private messages.