MyBook Live 2Tb BRICKED

i have a 2Tb  My Book Live.

Still under warranty until Nov2014

Can’t view on network…Windows or Mac

Can’t access device web page

Device does not appear in WD discovery and My Net View.

No lights on front.

Drive is spinning

I think I have two options.

1.  Send back to WD for replacement, and LOOSE ALL MY DATA

2.  Remove HDD from unit to recover data, debrick  and VOID MY WARRANTY

Are their any other options.

pay for WD platnium partner to perform data recovery - this will not void yoiur warranty and thus you should be entitled to replacement.  I am going through same process.  Expensive - but for me essential given the data I need recoivered.

Thankyou for your reply.

My drive is mostly ripped movies and vacation photos, some are backed up some are not.

It is the photos i want the most.

I just spent a pile of time collecting everything in one place and getting rid of duplicates.

How much does it cost to recover data.

BossMan50 wrote:

Thankyou for your reply.

My drive is mostly ripped movies and vacation photos, some are backed up some are not.

It is the photos i want the most.

I just spent a pile of time collecting everything in one place and getting rid of duplicates.

How much does it cost to recover data.

Each case is a bit different but be prepared to pay anywhere from $350 to $1000 the link below is a list of WD Data Recovery Partners some offer “WD Customer Discounts” so contact several of them and see which one gives you the best quote. It would probably be cheaper to break the warranty and follow the debrick guide and retrieve the data yourself. I personally don’t care much about the warranty so I’d go with the guide but that choice is entirely up to you. 

read the disclaimer at the top of the page as it contains useful information

http://support.wd.com/recovery/index.asp?lang=en&selregion=americas

i would do the debrick option. It’s easy and voiding yoru warrenty isn’t really an issue. The warrenty really is only useful if the entire MBL fails. As you have found out that in the case of a failed drive, the warrenty isn’t a great solution. 

@BossMan50 - check your PM