MyBook Essential doesn't see files or content

Hi,

I have a MyBook Essential 3TB, 3.0 connected to my Win 7 Pro PC via USB 3.

I have two hard drives:
c:/ for Windows and Programs

d:/ for documents, files, music, video, etc, etc (my User Profile has been relocated onto the d:/ drive.

The MyBook Essential backs up c:/ fine (I’ve tested and looked inside the WD SmartWare.swstor and all is as it should be.

For my d:/ drive, WD Smartware only backs up the “Mail” category of files. It can’t see or detect any music, video, pictures, etc… despite their being some there.

Why is this? How can I fix it?

On c:/ I want to back up; Documents, Mail, Other & Pictures (whic it is doing perfectly.)

On d:/ I want to back up, everything. (it is only doing ‘mail’ though, as it doesnt even detect other content.

Finally, the folder strucutre on d:/ is as follows:

D:/

- Public UserProfile 

- My UserProfile

- Documents

- Pictures

- Video

- Downloads

- Links

- Favorites

- etc

Help? :cry:

Thoughts  …anyone?

When you clicked on the D: drive to add it, did you go back into the Backup tab and restart the backup?  That’s the most common reason it doesn’t work.  Also, you need to make sure that whoever copied the data over to the D drive did it under the same username as SmartWare was installed under.  Otherwise, you may have permission issues.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

In short: yes and yes.

I tick selected all the file type categories for D:/ and then bf start backup, but it only ‘sees’ Mail and System files (and of course system files are not backup-able, plus there are no system files on the drive only my music docs video etc)

And yes, the data was copied to D:/ under same username. I will test by adding some new data and see if it detects it and backs that up but if not…

What can I do to make it see my data that is there and back it up?
Is there a way to remove D:/ from the backup and perhaps re-add it again to restart the search for data process?

Thanks

Added some new data to the D:/ drive today (under the same username) and WD Smartware, still does not detect any pictures, video, music, or documents to back up.

Can I have some support here please from some WD tech support staff.

This product is BRAND NEW and it isn’t seeing my file to backup.

PS: I have also double checked I have the latest firmwares, softwares and flash plugins installed - which I do.

I have the exact issue as well. But my data drive is the e drive. Have opened up a support called with WD. Will update if I get a solution.

Thanks

PhillyT wrote:

Added some new data to the D:/ drive today (under the same username) and WD Smartware, still does not detect any pictures, video, music, or documents to back up.

PS: I have also double checked I have the latest firmwares, softwares and flash plugins installed - which I do.

There are a couple of recommendations I can make. 

1)  Are you using the latest version of SmartWare?  If not, download it and install it.  (But first, uninstall the previous version.)

2)  Do you have .Net Framework 4.0 installed on your computer?  Just know that if you don’t, you will need to uninstall SmartWare before installing .Net Framework on your computer.

Now, if you need further help, you can contact WD’s tech support.  They will be able to walk you through whatever else you may be missing.

PhillyT wrote:

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that all user names are not created equally.  Even if the text of the name is the same, Windows looks at the underlying coding.

If I re-format my C: drive and re-install Windows, using the same name, it will still be a “different” user and I’d have to mess about with permissions, changing ownership of the files to the new “me”.  It doesn’t matter if it’s the same name – Windows still sees a different user.

So, it’s possible that the files that won’t be recognized for backup need an ownership change.

PhillyT wrote:

do you have .net framework 3.5 installed?  I don’t know if you ever answered that.  also, there was a new version of smartware just released.  you might try that.