MyBook Essential - **bleep**!

My Mac just stop recognizing MyBook Essential HD.  I have been hearing a lot aboutt this happening. 

What is the deal.  I have been using my WD as my BACKUP to all my work.  This is really, REALLY pissing me off.

What is the solution to get this fixed!!!  There does not appear to be any issue with the drive, it simply is not recognized any more by my MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro Retina

Mac iOS 10.8.5

MyBook Essential

USB3.0

WDBACW0030HBK-00 0412D

What has me extremely concerned is there seems to be an epidemic of WD issues with their drives and compatibility with Macs!!!

Curious, how long does it take for SOMEONE at WESTERN DIGITAL to respond?

Let’s see.

WhoYouZooming wrote:

My Mac just stop recognizing MyBook Essential HD.  I have been hearing a lot aboutt this happening. 

What is the deal.  I have been using my WD as my BACKUP to all my work.  This is really, REALLY pissing me off.

What is the solution to get this fixed!!!  There does not appear to be any issue with the drive, it simply is not recognized any more by my MacBook Pro.

How can you tell it’s not the drive? You tried a Windows PC and it worked? Otherwise, why are you implying the problem is WD not supporting Macs? Because the first thing you do to test a drive, is to check if it works on a different system. Drives fails all the time. Can be the day you bbought it or 2 years after. It’s a matter of -when- it will fail, not -if- it may fail.

If the drive is dead then the solution is to replace it. Since you state this drive is your backup (The process of backing up, refers to the copying [Not moving or migrating to a different location and then erasing from the first one, but copying, as in, 2 active locations, 2 active data sourcesand archiving of computer data so it may be used to restore the original after a data loss event) then good as it means you still have the original data available to put it back on, so unless you have no warranty then I see no reason to make a fuss when the next backup will likely be done automatically and unatendenly by time machine.

WhoYouZooming wrote:

Curious, how long does it take for SOMEONE at WESTERN DIGITAL to respond?

Let’s see.

This is a user forum in case you signed in without even reading the ToS, not a tech support live chat. Staff members apart from mods don’t post in here reguarly because they have direct support channels for that. Otherwise it kills and defeats the very purpose of a user community.

They have a phone number and e-mail address for actual tech support if you need it. Use it.

I won’t post again on this thread, so have the last word if you may.