MyBook Essential 2 TB disconnecting after about 10 seconds

For some reason, my external hard drive, a 2 TB MyBook Essential, has been automatically disconnecting after only a few seconds every time I try to connect it.  I am running on a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.7.  It worked properly for about 2 and a half months, and is partitioned into two 1 TB partitions.  When connected, it used to display the first partition, and then a few seconds later the second partition would show up.  Now, the first partition shows up, then after a few seconds it says that the drive has been improperly disconnected (as if I had pulled the wire out) even though I have not disconnected anything.  The drive does not shut down, it simply remains on in an idle state (the light on it is on and solid).  After paying a nice chunk of change for this hard drive, I am not pleased with how quickly it seems to have decided to ■■■■ the bed.  Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to approach this issue?  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi there

have you tried using another usb cable? that could be the problem.-

unfortunately the USB it came with is a USB 3.0, so it is the only one I have (it has that strange two part connector on the one end).  I called WD today and they are sending me one in a few days, so we will see if that is the issue when it arrives.  Since it does recognize it for a couple seconds I have a feeling the cable works, but it certainly is a possibility.

I have a similar problem. i just partioned my 3TB and thru half way of backing up my files. the ■■■■■■ said i have improperly disconnected without disconnecting the bish. now my laptop doesn’t read my 3TB. does not pop up like it used to