MyBook Duo Question

Hey guys I just wanted to ask a quick question. I am thinking about ordering the 12tb Duo drive, but I wanted to make sure I can do a couple things.

Firstly, I want the drive strictly for storage. I don’t need performance or redundancy. I just want 12TB of storage. That being said, I saw that the drive offers Raid 0 and JBOD.

If I choose raid 0, the date is spread accross both drives, so if 1 dies, I lose everything right?

And also in JBOD, the drives will populate until one is full then move on to the next right? So there should be a way to view what is on the one 6tb drive independent of the other right?

Is there any way to just use the drive as a dual disk enclosure? Like just have both drives function independently? So I can choose what goes onto one drive and what goes onto the other? This seems like the only function I want/need. I know I could buy two different 6tb drives, but I would rather have one enclosure to save space.

Correct. RAID 0 offers no fault tolerance in case of an individual disk drive failure. All data is compromised.

And also in JBOD, the drives will populate until one is full then move on to the next right? So there should be a way to view what is on the one 6tb drive independent of the other right?

JBOD allows for the individual disk drives to mount independently and be recognized independently.

Just remember that a 12 TB drive won’t actually give you 12 TB of storage space under Windows due to the difference between binary and decimal. (You aren’t actually losing the space, it just calculates all space differently from the standard).

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=615