MyBook Duo does not mount automatically after being re-connected on macOS Big Sur

Hi everyone,

I have recently changed to the new Apple MacBook Pro M1 running on macOS Big Sur. Following this change, I face a problem with my MyBook Duo 20TB (2X10TB) that it cannot mount automatically once being re-connected. I have to unplug and replug the power cord all the time before re-plugging the USB-C to my MacBook. If not doing so, the unit is only recognised on the system information but does not mount or show up on the Disk Utility at all.

There is also another problem when the MacBook wakes up from sleeping, the WD Drive Utilities application also shows a warning “error in RAID configuration”. However, a couple of minutes later, the MyBook Duo spins up and works normally.

I have no problem with my previous system which is an Intel iMac running on macOS High Sierra.

Hope anyone have a solution for me to sort this inconvenient problem out.

1 Like

Did you face this error on your earlier macOS?

@DonaldKepler Nah. It worked normally with my Intel iMac running on macOS High Sierra.

Exactly the same problem here with Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur and a WD Duo Book 2x 8TB drive connected via USB 3.1. I have also a My Book Thunderbolt Duo connected and that has no issues when the computer goes into sleep.

1 Like

So what’s the answer? … I have been contacting WD on this issue for over a year now. My Book Duo 6tb works perfectly with High Sierra - after that nada. I also have a thunderbolt duo that does not have the reconnect issue. Come on WD give us a reason why? OR just inform customers that they cannot use theses devices with an OS later than High Sierra.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there is still no answer from WD. I tried my friend’s MyBook Thunderbolt Duo and it had no problem at all. There is no clue whether the problem comes from the FW or the software or the connection protocols.

Any news on this topic? Having the same issue on Mac OS Catalina, 10.15.7

Just forget about any help WD would provide. Like many of us, I have the same issue; I have been emailing them for more than a year, no solution. And the My Book Duo is under warranty; still, I would need to pay tons of money to send them the device so they check what’s going on. Ridiculous. I was hoping after updating the WD Discovery this September and it would solve the problem; it didn’t. Extremely disappointing, and I will never buy WD products in the future, nor any photographers or videographers I know.

@Daniel_mybook and @MrMoore, unfortunately, there is still no answer from WD. I read some articles which mention that the Apple M architecture might effect some softwares. Some need to be re-wrote. I think WD need to rewrite the driver and the manage software to adapt to the Apple M architecture.

As I mentioned, don’t expect any help or support from WD. They don’t care, only delaying the time, expecting that customer gets tired and give up.
It’s not the M architecture; they couldn’t catch up even with the previous systems (I use 2019 16 inch MBP).

1 Like