MyBook 8TB system files?

I recently bought a My Book 8TB. I did a backup of my PC and changed my mind so I used the erase feature in the utility app. Now it looks like the system files that it had when brand new are no longer in the drive, and when I attempt to perform a new, more specific backup it says it is not connected, but it is showing up in my file explorer and I am able to click on it. Can’t find anything else relating to my specific situation. Anybody know what needs to happen herre?

Hi @eightysix,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Generally, the files in the System storage can be anything that cannot be categorized into app, movie, picture, music, or document, such as:

1. Essential macOS operating system files;
  2. Time Machine snapshot backups;
  3. System log files and cache;
  4. Cache from Browsers, Mail, photos, and the third-party apps;
  5. Old macOS updates;
  6. Trash data and junk files.

Sometimes your Mac builds up an unnecessary amount of System files due to a bug, but most of the time it’s a normal part of how the operating system works. However, you can follow the below methods to manually reduce system storage on your Mac:

1. Empty Trash
  2. Manage Time Machine Backup Snapshots
  3. Optimize your Storage
  4. Remove iOS Backups
  5. Delete Cache Files
  6. Update macOS

Hope it helps!