MyBook 3TB burnt on the inside

Hello WD community, I have a strange question, I would think…

So, last year (for christmas) I received a WD MyBook 3TB drive. I have been using it as a back up device since. Not a lot of use, just backing up files every week. Well, the other day, I went to use it and the drive was not recognized by my computer. I did my own trouble-shooting and wound up dismantling the thing, only to find that the drives control board, and the external cases board have both been singed/burned. Luckily, I was able to get it to read one last time and move my backups to another drive. I have now removed it from the case and just put it into my computer to retrieve the SMART data and everything is still fine. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Does anyone know if WD will be willing to do something for me? Or am I just kind of up ■■■■ creek now that I opened the external case to see what was wrong and retrieve my data.

Hello there,

I have not tried this, lets see if another user can share some information or tips on this matter.

Check the posts by fzabkar he has guided people through fixing these boards. See if this helps Connected wrong power supply to 3TB WD My Book Essential - any way to fix it? - #2 by Trancer When you opened the case you voided the warranty.
Joe