MyBook 3.0 power on with computer, is it possible to leave it off when the computer turn on?

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

That sounded good 10 years ago. And people used to complain of the feature you like 10 years ago, so they took it out and made it ready to be used without having to move a finger after the first connection.

You don’t like it? Blame the rest of the world and make them regret they got what they wanted.

Do you see someone else whining like you do about it? No. Why? Because it’s pointless.

Every other external hard disks on the market works like I saied, only WD reinvented the wheel in a bad way.

I wrote here because I have finded a solution to that problem simply by thinking on how this drives work and how my motherboards work.

My Book starts with PC and power off with PC because it “feel” a changed state in the USB power.

When the PC is powered off there is no power (current) on the USB and My Book drive power off accordingly, when the PC is powered on the USB is powered by current and My Book starts accordingly.

To avoid this behaviour simply enable the Power On PCI feature on your motherboard’s bios.

If you enable this settings on your bios your mobo will leave current on the PCI lines, this means that your USB will not lost current when the PC is powered off.

In this way when you power off your PC, My Book, will not feel it and the power button located on the My Book drive will start working as I expect.

Same things when you power on the PC, My Book will remain in the same state you leaved it before.

You are now able to manage the state of your My Book drive without beeing influenced on the PC state (on/off).

I finally able to turn on my My Book only when I need to backup some content, and not leave it turned on every time I startup the PC, I saves a lot of current (I’m green), and I save my hear from the loud of this hard drive.

Hope that this will help someone with my same problem.

Bye :slight_smile: