MyBook 1TB External Mass Storage Controller Problem

Ok, so a buddy gave me his 1TB MyBook since he bought a 2TB. The drive was working perfectly 30 minutes before he gave it to me. I brought it home, plugged it up to my computer. The computer “ba-bonks” like it’s connected, but then nothing happens. Can’t access the drive Here’s what I’ve tried so far: Swapped USB cables 3 times. Swapped USB ports 4 times Attempted Driver update on Mass Storage Controller (From now on known as MSC) So I got to looking around a little. I found an issue in Device Manager. “MSC” has the dreaded Yellow triangle with an ! inside. So I do some poking around, try a fix there and there. Nothing. Eventually, I went through the USB devices in Device Manager and removed the drive and uninstalled the MSC. I plugged in a flash drive, 16 gig. Works perfectly, as always. I plug the WD External in again. It Ba-bonks, the little “Safely Remove” icon shows back up, but drive isn’t accessible. As soon as I plugged the drive in, and it ba-bonked, the MSC pops up in the problem section of device manager again. The drive shows up in Drive Manager, which says it’s “Online” I’m at my wits end here. Google has been no help, so I thought I’d turn to you guys. Hoping someone can help me out here. I’m about at the end of my rope. This is the second time I’ve had an issue with Western Digital stuff and it’s starting to get irritating… WD used to be my choice of product… But I’m starting to lose faith…

Hi there, What is the status of the drive in Disk Management? is it Unknown, Raw, Not Initialized or Unallocated, If is any of these, you should try reformat the drive, If is Healthy, try changing the drive letter.

MR_MKS_Montana wrote:

If is Healthy, try changing the drive letter

… or making sure it’s set to “Online”  (also in Disk Management)

It says “Online” in Disk Management. It also says "Healthy “GPT Protective Partition”, whatever that means. I’m really starting to get annoyed here.

Forgot to check the Email box…

GPT partitions is Guide Partition Table , it will only work with MAC computers, did you previously used on a MAC?

If yes, then need to erase and reformat drive or you can get an application called  Mac Drive 7, it will allow you to read the partition and files without having to reformat.

Hmm…That’s odd because it’s never been used on a MAC… I’ll give it a shot. How do I format the drive without being able to access it?

Ok, so a little update. First off, that MacDrive didn’t work. It wants me to pay before I can actually access the drive, and I’m not dropping cash on a piece of software I’ll only use once. I tried a couple other free pieces of software, and every one of them tells me the same thing: No MAC drives found. One thing I can’t seem to find is the reset button. At this point, whatever is stored on there, I don’t care. It’s a few DVDs and a game or something. I don’t care at this point. I just want to be able to use the drive. I think if I can fix the MSC driver problem, all will be well. I just can’t seem to find anyone who actually knows how to fix it. I’ve tried 2 different drivers from the web. Neither was successful…

Do you know what OS your buddy was using or how he formatted drive? What OS are you using I believe GPT is now used by Windows but mainly for drives larger than 2T. If you don’t need the data the easiest thing may be to reformat the drive with your computer.

Joe

He’s using windows 7, I’m using Windows XP.

I can’t format the drive because I can’t access it… It doesn’t show up in Windows Explorer OR My Computer. It ONLY shows up in Device Manager and Disk Manager.

The MacDrive thing above gave me the choice to “Initialize” the drive, erasing it. But I think that’ll format it for MACs.

If you have a way for me to format it, I’m all ears.

At this point, I’m willing to do a factory reset… Except I can’t find a reset button on the thing either. WD tech support was no help. “Run this diagnostic tool. If there are errors, call us back” Of course, there were no errors. The drive passed. So the Diag tool sees it as well… I just CAN’T access it.

It HAS to be that Mass Storage Controller driver…

Ok, another update. I borrowed a buddy’s laptop. The guy I got the drive from is running Windows 7. My other friends laptop has Windows 7. I plugged the drive into the laptop, it fired right up. I have no problem accessing it in Windows 7. I have now tried to access the drive on 3 different Windows XP machines, each one failing to access the drive, however Windows 7 has no trouble installing it and finding it. So I now know it’s at least not a bad drive. So what’s going on with Windows XP that this drive doesn’t like!? How can I fix it?

Figment wrote:

He’s using windows 7, I’m using Windows XP.

I can’t format the drive because I can’t access it… It doesn’t show up in Windows Explorer OR My Computer. It ONLY shows up in Device Manager and Disk Manager.

The MacDrive thing above gave me the choice to “Initialize” the drive, erasing it. But I think that’ll format it for MACs.

If you have a way for me to format it, I’m all ears.

At this point, I’m willing to do a factory reset… Except I can’t find a reset button on the thing either. WD tech support was no help. “Run this diagnostic tool. If there are errors, call us back” Of course, there were no errors. The drive passed. So the Diag tool sees it as well… I just CAN’T access it.

It HAS to be that Mass Storage Controller driver…

No, the problem here is simply that the drive has a GPT - GUID ( Globally Unique IDentifier) Partition Table, which works on Macs, Vista and W7, but DOES NOT WORK ON XP, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. You won’t be able to use that drive, it was formatted on W7 as GPT to take advantage of the way a GPT NTFS formatting behaves vs. MBR NTFS, but XP can’t do anything with it.

MacDrive won’t help you because it’s a Windows GPT, not a Mac GPT. There is no factory reset button and if the tool that WD suggested was DLG, then your option is to use the Write Zeros option to fully kill the partition table along with all the data inside and leave the drive with no partition table. The drive will then allow you to initialize it in the only partition table that XP understands, which is MBR (Master Boot Record), and then it will let you format it.

Your problem if that you run XP, while the drive was optimized by your friend for W7. If the WD DLG tool does not kill the partition table by doing a full erase, then try any other tool (free tools) that allows you to Write Zeros.

Additionally, since you have access to Windows 7 computers, you can go to Disk Management, right-click the partition of the drive and select Delete Volume , after it has an unallocated partition, right-click it again and you’ll see an option that says Convert to MBR Disk , and then it will let you format it to NTFS. THAT will let you use it on XP, but will lose performance on W7.

2 Likes

Hey  Pizza,

I tired your advice, loaded it in my Windows 7 Machine. Deleted the volume. But there is no option to convert. I New Simple Volume, New spanned volume and new striped volume (The latter two are greyed out. ) There’s also a properties selection

I think MACDrive would allow me to write 0’s. Should I just look for a program that will do that?

I’m running KillDisc on it now. 12 Hours…

I really hope this works…This is starting to really tick me off.

Thanks for the explianation.

Joe

Ok, so I finally got this thing to work.

Here’s the summary after speaking with WD Tech Support a little and my trial and error, in case anyone else comes across this thread.

This drive was initially formatted under Windows 7. Drives (At least these drives) that are formatted under Vista, 7 or MAC cannot be accessed under Windows XP (And I’m assuming everything else under XP)

WD Tech Support had me doing the usual stuff like creating a new volume, etc etc. None of this works because it’s still being done under a Windows 7 environment (Since I could only access the drive on a 7 computer) so moving the drive to an XP environment left me with the same issue of not being able to access the drive.

I decided to run KillDisk on it. This was going to take 12+ hours. This goes through and writes all 0’s to the drive, essentially overwriting all information on the drive with…well Nothing. A buddy said he used a different program that was faster. So I decided to kill the over-write and use his program. After I stopped the write, which had been going for about an hour or so, I plugged it into the XP machine just for kicks. I went into disk management. As soon as I did, it prompted me to initialize the disk and create a new partition. Apparently I over-wrote the original partition enough that XP was now able to access the drive. Created a new partition, formatted the drive and copied some files to test. 100% working!

So thanks to everyone here who helped and tried to help. It’s much appreciated. :slight_smile: