MyBook 10TB Device Not Ready on Win7 Pro 64bit

Just bought a WD 10TB MyBook. The model number begins with WDBBGB.

Windows does not react when I plug it in and power it up.

When I go to COMPUTER>MANAGEMENT>DISK MANAGEMENT, it pops up INITIALIZE DISK. I select GPT and OK, but it always displays VIRTUAL DISK MANAGER, DEVICE NOT READY.

Next I tried CONTROL PANEL>DEVICE MANAGER>DISK DRIVES. Expanding that tree all drives are shown including this new one as WD MY BOOK 25EE USB DEVICE. Right click on it and check PROPERTIES, I see THIS DEVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY.

The driver is listed as MICROSOFT, 06/21/2006, version 6.1.7601.19133.

I have searched online and tried a number of suggestions in running DISKPART, from the command line as Administrator. Even that gives me a DEVICE NOT READY.

The drive has a very quiet hum/vibration, it is clearly spinning. And obviously Windows is seeing it but cannot make it do anything such as initialize, partition, format.

This PC (AMD FX8350) has two other WD external, USB3 connected hard drives. Both are 3TB, worked instantly when originally installed and continue to do so. I have tried plugging all three into the four USB3 ports, I have swapped a USB3 cable on a known working 3TB with the 10TB. No change in the 10TB problem and the 3TB works fine with the 3TB’s USB3 cable.

So, still searching for a clue on the interwebs…

All ideas and suggestions warmly encouraged!!

Hi,

You could try reformatting the drive using WD Drive utilities: How to Install and Use WD Security and WD Drive Utilities Features

Tried formatting but it was always DEVICE IS NOT READY. Gave up and returned it to Newwegg.com. A new one is on the way now.

Whatever was wrong with it was enough to defeat both the Disk Manager and DISKPART.