My Western Digital MyPassport Ulta 1TB just filled up

My Western Digital MyPassport Ulta 1TB just filled up.

My PC has 50 GB free and my WD has 3 MB free. I couldn’t figure out why until I browsed the .SWSTOR folder and saw that there was files and folders there that I deleted or moved months ago that were still there.  I have it set to automatic backup immediately when a folder is changed.

My problem is…can I delete the .SWSTOR folder and start the backup over again.

When I delete the .SWSTOR, that will not affect the files on my PC will it?

Also, can I get a free program that will back up my data for me in an unencrypted format, where it will automatically sync everything I do on my PC in real time? Like if I move a file to a folder on my PC, it will move the file on the external drive. If I delete a file from my PC, it will delete it from the external drive and so on, so this problem can be avoided in the future.

PS: I never delete the recycle bin on my PC, so if I delete a file I don’t want that I want later, I can get it back.

Welcome to the Community.

Yes, you can delete the .SWSTOR folder to delete WD SmartWare backup files, and it will not affect your computer. however, it is possible you may have to re-install WD SmartWare in order to start a new backup.

On the other hand, yes, you can use a 3rd party synchronization utility with your WD Passport. I have seen a few Users recommending the official Microsoft SyncToy application.