My WD hard drive stopped working since new Mac update

I’ve been using my WD external hard drive both for my laptop (Toshiba) and more recently my Mac to store photos on. Everything has been fine until the last Apple software update - now the drive shows as read only and I can’t save any files to it. Reading the Apple forums, it sounds as if this is a problem for other makes of external drive and it has been fixed by installing a new driver. Is there a driver available that would make the drive work with my MacBook Air? Thanks.

There are several WD external hard drives. It would be quite helpful if you could post the exact model number of your unit.

On the other hand, have you been able to confirm if the unit works on other Mac systems running an older version of the OS? If it does not, was your hard drive connected to your computer during the update process? If so it could have corrupted your unit and you may need to erase/format it.

Hi Trancer, thanks for the reply - I’m not sure what the model number is, there are a lot of numbers on the back of the unit - here’s the info on the back.
P/N WDBABV5000ABK-00
S/N [Deleted - Trancer]
3411B
R/N D2B

I only have this Mac so I don’t know if it would work on older versions of the operating system - I do know that I was using it fine until it just updated to the newest version a week or so ago. Other people have been having the same problems with their external hard drives too, according to the Apple forums.

I didn’t have it connected to the computer at all when I updated it.
Hope this helps,
Jo

The model number corresponds to a WD Elements Portable SE edition. There are no driver updates for this unit.

Have you tried changing the USB 3.0 cable with a USB 2.0 cable in order to confirm if it’s a USB 3.0 system-driver issue?

A post was split to a new topic: My WD hard drive stopped working since new Mac update