My WD External hard drive not recognised

hey, how did you solve your problem i had the same problem myself i also dropped mines  

itsjuugmoney wrote:

hey, how did you solve your problem i had the same problem myself i also dropped mines  

If you dropped your drive, you most likely have physical damage to the drive.  Recovery software most likely won’t help.  If you need the data from the drive, then you are looking at data recovery.  And that will be iffy.  If you have the data backed up, then you can RMA the drive.

Please HELP !!!

My 1 TB WD HDD is not working … When I plugged it to my PC the light comes on and the it starts spinning and the security window pops up and asks for password (it is locked) and when I give the password it takes time and slow down the PC and all programs stuck, during this time a hard drive icon shows in my computer named (Local Disk K) with a question mark after 5 or 6 minutes the icon disappear and the security window shows again (it repeats if I give the password for second time).

At disk management, my hdd is shown Unknown, Not Initialized and unallocated with black label and it doesn’t come online nor initialized. 

I don’t remember if I dropped it or stepped up on it. 

Somebody please help !!! What should I do to get it work ? If I format it would I be able to fully recover the data stored in it?

Thank you. 

FKhyber wrote:

Please HELP !!!

My 1 TB WD HDD is not working … When I plugged it to my PC the light comes on and the it starts spinning and the security window pops up and asks for password (it is locked) and when I give the password it takes time and slow down the PC and all programs stuck, during this time a hard drive icon shows in my computer named (Local Disk K) with a question mark after 5 or 6 minutes the icon disappear and the security window shows again (it repeats if I give the password for second time).

At disk management, my hdd is shown Unknown, Not Initialized and unallocated with black label and it doesn’t come online nor initialized. 

I don’t remember if I dropped it or stepped up on it. 

Somebody please help !!! What should I do to get it work ? If I format it would I be able to fully recover the data stored in it?

Thank you. 

by no means format the thing. I really dont think there is anything to be done on your end since you had a password setup. if you try using data recovery software you will find out that before the drive is unlocked it is read protected.

it comes down to how important is your data, and is it worth having it recovered. there are ways to get is sorted, but data recovery as a services is far from cheap.

Hi just read your comment im having the same problem.  mine hasnt been dropped just moved the hard drive to my sons room to cnnect it there and doesnt recognise it, then took it back to the living room and wont work again.

my trouble shoot is number 2 can you help me please.

When I plug in my external hard drive the light blinks twice then stays lit.  I can hear the hard drive spinning occasionally it will give 2 soft clicks.  The hard drive is not recognized by the computer.  I tried two different laptops and a tablet and still its just lights spins then nothing.  I tried the usb cable in my phone and that is recongized so the cable is good. Have I lost all of my info yet again?

My info on the sticker of the hard drive is:

WD10TMVV-11BG7S0

ATA HARD DRIVE

R//N 701675

DCM EHBV2BBN

DCX XB04G9W70

S/N [Deleted]

This may have been covered but I cannot find it anywhere.

My problem is that my dog pulled out the usb from my laptop. I only had the windows explorer open, no files were being transfered or in use.

Now, when I replugged it into my computer its not coming up. It makes a beep noise (from the laptop) like its connected but nothing.

I’ve looked at disk managment and device management and finally got it to show in explorer as drive f, but everytime I click on it the explorer pane becomes ‘Not responding’. I have a lot of info on there I dont wont to lose, (a little more than 1TB on a 2TB Western Digital.)

PLEASE HELP???

Thanks in advance

Daniel

My external hdd worked perfectly yesterday, but when i turned it on today it stopped being recongized. It’s making bumping noises, like its trying to spin. Any idea on how to fix this? It does show up in dics management but not “my computer”

try plugging the drive directly into the wall to make sure it’s getting enough power.  if it doesn’t fire up, then it’s most likely toast.  you can also try all the standard simple tips: connect to another port, or pc, try another cable, try another power adapter…

My problem is that it’s recognized as a CD drive by the computer. I did dropped it a couple of times before but that wasn’t a massive destructive drop at all. HELP PLEASSSEEE!!!

renoBoi wrote:

My problem is that it’s recognized as a CD drive by the computer. I did dropped it a couple of times before but that wasn’t a massive destructive drop at all. HELP PLEASSSEEE!!!

ouch!!!  you probably damaged the board in the external case, or the drive inside.  don’t tell me you don’t have a backup of your data.  if you do, then you can try to rma the drive.  as long as there’s no visible physical damage, you should be able to get away with it.  if you need the data, then you have one of two choices, you can pay for data recovery (which would protect your warranty - as long as there is no visible physical damage), or you can pop the case open and try it in a pc.  it all depends on whether you have a smartware drive, cause they’re encrypted and the pc thing won’t work.

oh, and by the way, dropping a drive once is enough to destroy it.  dropping it a couple of times, well, your luck just plain ran out.

hi, I have WD ext HHD and one of my computers don not see the HHD .  Can somebody help.

I didn’t drop my HHD it work perfectly on the other computer.

my external drive wont get recognized by my computer, power light is on, put my ear to bottom i can hear it turning/buzzing, how do i fix?

please help!!!  After a year of working fine with no issues all of a sudden my external hard drive stopped being recognized by my PC, laptop (ie it is not recognized by anything). The hard drive no longer shows up under disk management, the computer won’t even recognize that it’s plugged in (yet the white light on the hard drive still turns on), I tried updating the firmware but the WD software can’t detect that the hard drive is plugged in—even though it is. It’s not an issue with the usb drives because other devices work fine in them. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? It’s still under warranty but I’d like to try and fix the problem myself and not lose all the data I had on the hard drive…  I have checked the usb cable and usb port and no problem 

@ msucg3

does it show up in disk management?

nankichabba

So, you tried the drive on another pc with another cable, checking to see if it shows up in that pc’s disk management?  If so, then you’ve most like lost the drive.  I’d contact wd and get it replaced.

on another note.  why you guys don’t get that you can’t ever, ever, ever rely on just one drive for your data I’ll never understand.  at least back up you’re most important files on dvds.  

When I plug in my drive it shows Found New Hardware: ‘Bad PCB’ . Then it tries to find SES software.  When my drive is plugged in it has a buzzing sound, but from I remember it used to buzz when it worked. The light shows that the power is on. Please help.

Same problem here. I tried using TestDisk first but I doesn’t fix the problem. Then I tried using chkdsk (for Microsoft), and I was able to access my drive again. Then some problems occurred while I was downloading, so I used the chkdsk again. After that, I can’t access my hard drive again.

Can someone help me fix this problem?

can someone please help me. i dropped my wd external hard drive last friday. when i plugged it again to computer there is no light indicating my drive is reading and when i tilt it in slanting position, i can hear the pulsing. ive read the comments and problems here but i dont know if my case is the same as yours. altho i can hear the pulsing when my drive is in slanted position, i will last only for seconds and then it will stop. please help me. my 8 years files in my work is in my hard drive and i dont have back up to any computer or laptop. how can i solve my problem…pls  help.

peaceful_angel wrote:

can someone please help me. i dropped my wd external hard drive last friday. when i plugged it again to computer there is no light indicating my drive is reading and when i tilt it in slanting position, i can hear the pulsing. ive read the comments and problems here but i dont know if my case is the same as yours. altho i can hear the pulsing when my drive is in slanted position, i will last only for seconds and then it will stop. please help me. my 8 years files in my work is in my hard drive and i dont have back up to any computer or laptop. how can i solve my problem…pls  help.

Honestly, you are looking at data recovery.  I would not even try messing with the drive anymore, just in case you had a head slap when you dropped it.  Head slaps will tear chunks out of the platters.  Once there are pieces in the drive, spinning up the drives can cause more and more damage, and make your data unrecoverable. 

i have the same problem on mine do anyone know how to fix it please i have verry important files on it