My WD External hard drive not recognised

Hi Every one,

I have a WD External hard drive which was working fine till today  3.00pm but, while working on it all of a sudden I dropped it by mistake.

After that when ever I try to connect to PC or laptop it is not recognised.

I checked in device manager also it is not recognised but I can hear it spinning after connected to PC or laptop and the flashing light is also working fine. While removing it from system I can hear a sound (might be saying it is disconnected).

I have very very important documents in that and worried about it, I can’t afford lossing them.

Can any one guide me how to proceed and get the my data.

Thank you

Sri

The drive is probably physically damaged. It doesn’t take much of a bump to damage them. Professional data recovery is likely the only solution.

Joe

5 Likes

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you please tel me how can I  recovery data and how much it costs me.

Thank you

Sri

Can Any one Tel me any option to get the data recovery.

Its really very Imp. Am worried about it

Than you

Finally, I got the solution.

My colleague who works as System Engineer helped me out.

He tried to open the hard disk and checked, the hard disk was fine but, the knob where we plunge in got destroyed.

I purchased a ‘Kingston SSD Enclosure’ case for my hard drive, now I can reuse my disk again.

Want to tell you, once we open our hard disk which is sealed you can’t reuse the case but we can see whether HD is ok or not.If HD is ok you can reuse and if destroyed last option is professional data recovery.

Hope it helps…

Thank You

Sri

Could any one help me my (MY BOOK ESSENTIAL EDITION 1TB USB 2.0 DESKTOP EXTERNAL HDD) lights up when i plug it in but it does not recognise by USB nor is there any noise coming from the HDD, im guessing it’s the USB/Power connector circuit board because i accidently pluged my laptop adapter into it for like for 2 seconds and pulled it out once i realised what i done :frowning: anyways its not working now and is there anyone that could tell me how i can fix this problem?

I had some ideas myself a new Enclosure but where do i get that and how do i know its the write one??? or a replaced Circuit board hhhmmmm HELP please!!!

You probably fried the circuit board. Send a PM to fzabkar he’s about the only one who undeerstands these boards. Sometimes you can bypass what is burned out. Or search his posts. A lot of people have fried their drives using the laptop power supply by mistake.

Joe

2 Likes

sorry i really dont know how to use this forum how do u PM someone if it dont say reply at the bottom?

once we open our hard disk which is sealed you can’t reuse the case but we can see whether HD is ok or not.If HD is ok you can reuse and if destroyed last option is professional data recovery…

i have warrenty to my passport…does warrenty remains after we open the seal… does WD support professional data recovery for a warrenty product for free cost!..

When you open the drive the warranty is voided.

Joe

1 Like

I didn’t drop mine, my computer just refused to recognize after 5 backups for the first My Passport,  (Stupidly bought a second one!) and after about 10 backups for the second, My computer shows no drive available and I have no access to it.  I upgraded twice, since, and  the first upgrade it froze up my computer, I had to restore to a previous backup, and the second time there is still no access to the external drive, I am still trying to fix all the other changes it made to my laptop.  Help!  All I want is a driver that works and I can use this external harddrive!!!. 

i didnt use the software i just pluged and played and it was working fine till i accidently put my Laptop adapter in my external HDD and then ppwwww it wasnt connecting to my laptop nor was there any noise coming from the HDD when i pluged it in

Using the laptop adapter probably fried the circuit board on the drive.

Joe

2 Likes

We recently had a powercut where we live. My harddrive seemed to work fine when I started using. But that lasted 10 minutes. Now I have a constant light (whole thing) and no matter what you do you can’t get into it. Luckily im still covered from warranty. So at least they can take a look at it for me… Will key ya know how I get on folks

Try 12V 3A (36W) adapter. It seems the 2A adapter which comes with older WD drives doesn’t work after a couple of years of use. I had a newer 3A adapter for another WD drive which worked. More at: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/1378/#legacy Look for: My Book Essential (Green Ring) 12 Volts 3.0 Amps 24 Watts http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/productID.115863100/categoryID.13096000/parid.13092600/catid.13096000

vpsam wrote:
Try 12V 3A (36W) adapter. It seems the 2A adapter which comes with older WD drives doesn’t work after a couple of years of use. I had a newer 3A adapter for another WD drive which worked. More at: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/1378/#legacy Look for: My Book Essential (Green Ring) 12 Volts 3.0 Amps 24 Watts http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/productID.115863100/categoryID.13096000/parid.13092600/catid.13096000

This board is for the Passport, which is only supplied power by USB.  The user above you could try a power booster cable, though.

Hello everyone

I have a WD External hard drive (My Passport Essential SE 1T  usb 2.0)  which was working fine, after a power cut I reset my pc, the hard drive is recognised, I checked in device manager also its recognised and the flashing light is also working fine after a very slow work, but its empty,  plz help me to fix it or tell me a fine way to recover my data

I’m having the same problem, but i havent fixed it. I don’t know what to do and I called professional places but its really expensive

My hard drive isn’t being recognized either but to see these Einsteins RACE to “must be damaged” is comical and absurd. No one asked if you dropped it. No one asked ANYTHING. Mine hasn’t been touched, only came unplugged. I guarantee you there is nothing wrong my hard drive. I’ll figure it out today and post what the problem was. 

If it came unplugged it’s probably corrupt. Start a new post with your OS and does the drive show in Disk Management?

Joe