My WD 500G won't be detected by any computer after "Delayed write" failure

I was cutting several directories with lots of image files (~5Gb in total) from my computer and pasting

it into my WD drive; I could notice that the transference rate wasn’t quite regular and it all took long,

after a while an error message popped-up saying that Delayed write failed and that one file could

possibly be damaged, I closed that message and checked out how well the transference had worked out,

but to my surprise there were barely some files out of the original bunch, and they were damaged

(I could see nothing but blue background when I viewed the pics and a message popped-up in the lower 

right corner of the screen for every file that I clicked on telling me that it was damaged),

however in my computer they were all fine.

Since the computer started to get very slow after all that, and the WD refused to be safely removed I

restarted the system, which by the way took a looong time too.

After that, the drive didn’t even show up in My PC. I tried the WD  in a notebook with Windows Vista (the

desktop computer where the issue started has Windows XP SP2) and another desktop computer with

Ubuntu 10.04 and cannot be detected at all.

I had been using the drive without problems for less than a year.

I hope anyone could help me out with this problem because I have very important data in there.

Thanks in advance.

Doesnt sound good at all!! There could be many reasons for your problem. Either your drive is going bad or you have system errors. Try this… I have windows xp pro so I hope this works for you. It has saved me countless number of times.

Open  My Computer  by double-clicking on the icon on the desktop.

Right-click on the drive letter that you wish to check for errors (usually C:) and click on the Properties  menu item.

Choose the “Tools” tab and click on the  Check Now…  button.

Two options are available in the next window:

• Automatically fix file system errors  will correct many file system errors detected. This is highly recommended.

• Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors will perform a search for areas of the hard drive that may be damaged or unusable. If found, this tool will mark those areas as “bad” and prevent your computer from using them in the future. This is a very useful feature but may extend the scan time as much as a few hours.

Click  Start.

Allow the Error Checking program to run its course until complete.

Restart the PC if prompted to do so.

If it doesnt work, repost…