My statistics

How healty is my disk

1. Is it time to backup my data or reformat my disk?

2. Or I can wait before things go bad

Straghit to the point : How can I keep my hard disk healthy ???

Cannot see anything. :confounded:. If you haven’t, try running a test with DLG, if the test fails, replace it. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940

now unfortunately I am not able to access my drive …

The access speed is so slow… … it keeps blinking… :frowning:

I can see the icon and drive free space… ( but when I click someitem or folder it takes too long to open the folder)

What to do now ??

I am able to access my drive from PC ( windows 7)

I am able to see the folders… But when I click a folder it takes too long… to open it… may be 5 to 6 minutes

How can I recover my data ?? Please somebody help me

when I run chkdsk … gives me lots of data sector errors…

this could be the reason… ??

Also when I run chkdsk… at some points it hangs for few minutes … May be it will take 1/2 day to finish

Best bet is to stop using the disk. Take it to a data recovery professional. Continuing to run utilities and things like this is only causing the cost of recovery to increase. Too many bad sectors it sounds like…

I mean there’s no DIY method that’ll fix this. You’re welcome to try till the disk completely dies all information is beyond retrieval even by a pro.

Hi kieth

Thank you for the information…

But I was thinking what can a data recovery pro do… make the corrput file system fast ? Just curious to know

I ran scandisk , chkdsk as I said but it never finished ( for whole 1/2 day  :frowning: )

when I try to read any file on the disk it takes too long… So I thought I won’t try on it any more … .:frowning:

But was curious how a data recovery pro, could play with such a nasty drive, can he increase the speed

The problem started happening when I started plugging in unplugging in… two days back and ran some health checking tools

Data recovery pro will use hardware tools to copy the data to a fresh disk. They don’t  do any sort of repairs or anything like that. The disk is pretty much inoperative as it stands.

Your drive is failing. Get the data off it … now.

If the only data on the drive is backup data, then do a backup of your original data to a different external drive, or a USB stick, or DVD, or cloud storage… somewhere. Never have one copy of your data. Some would suggest always have the original data plus two backups. The key question: Can you afford to lose the data, and if you did lose it what would it cost to replace?

If you don’t care about the data on the drive (for example, if it is a backup and you still have the original data) then do a warranty claim. If it is out of warranty then use DLG to wipe zeroes on the drive, and see if it is recoverable.

If you want to recover the data on your drive, you have the following three options. Your drive still functions (somewhat), therefore the data (some or all of it) will be recoverable. You have three options:

1. Try to copy it yourself. This will probably take forever, as the drive is working hard to do data recovery and retries(this is why it is so slow),
  2. Open the case, remove the actual disk drive (it’s a standard drive, inside a pretty case and with an extra circuit board to provide the USB interface), and throw away the case. Cable the drive natively inside your PC. If the external drive  circuit board is the part which has failed, the drive will now perform like a standard disk. If the drive is going bad, it will still be slow, but at least it will be faster than step #1. Copy the data off, and use DLG to do a zero-wipe on the drive (this will flush out any bad sectors and mark them as unusable), then reformat and reuse. If you cannot copy the data off, your only option is #3,
  3. Send the drive to a data recovery company (either the entire drive, or the disk produced in #2). They charge serious money, but they will almost certainly get your data back. 

If you do a format, or a zero wipe, consider your data to be entirely gone. These are drive-recovery actions, not data recovery.

Yes. Though I wouldn’t even do that. Continuing to run the disk will damage it futher. And once a disk is failing like this, you can’t really “flush” out bad sectors - there’s too many. The disk generated them because of a failure, and will continue to do so in the future.

The only option to save the data is pro-recovery service. IMHO