My Solution to My Cloud is disconnecting from the Network and disappears when connecting USB hdd

So I thought I would post up on how I got into this mess and prior to posting up the solution, I had no idea that everyone was having the same problems; perhaps they are related.

When I bought these two devices the 4TB Cloud and the 4TB My Book a few days ago, I was looking forward to seeing how fast was the USB 3.0 connected device over a gigabit Lan. This tested out to be about 25MB/s. 

Once I was satisfied that this combination worked, I enabled SSH to get into the device. As I had done this with the WD Live, I wanted to make sure that the devices would sleep and no photo indexing and other indexing would occur. So I use the  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/my-cloud-won-t-sleep/td-p/639769/page/2 chmod 644 method to ensure that wdmcserver and wdphotodbmerger won’t start. rebooted and watched both devices fall asleep within 10-15 minutes.

Satisfied that I could get device sleepage, I proceeded to copy 3.5TB files over the next few days. I filled my WD My Book using the USB 3.0 method rather then through the network with the same data. My intentions was to use the My Book as a mirror of the Cloud. Thus after all the data had been copied, I connected the My Book to the Cloud without any problems (I did not reboot nor power down over the few days).

After copying all the files, I decided to use the old method of stopping the services rather then using the chmod. So I chmod 755 back the 3 files and rebooted. I then use the above script to stop the services by SSH’ing the device right after rebooting. No problems in connecting… 

The problem started when I attempted to move my two devices over to my bookshelf connecting via 50 feet cat 6. 

1. Connected all the devices including the USB 3.0 thinking it should just boot up… leaving all the services running. Remember my script to stop the services is manual; requiring me to SSH into the device to run it.

2. the connection was very very sluggish. I thought my cat 6 cable was bad…

3. powered off the devices without connecting via the web to shut down <====== This is where I think caused all the problems

4. powered on without USB connected. Same problem. Unable to connect. I could SSH into it… but soon after the connection disconnected. Really thought it was a bad cable.

5. brought the devices back to my desktop and connected via the short supplied cable. Had the same problem, making me realize that it wasn’t the cable.

6. ps -ALL to see all these services and stop the two above… I was able to map out the drives on both windows and Mac

7. Moved the drives back to the 50ft cat 6 cable… and did the above procedure. The two devices are happily working on my bookshelves at the moment.

Hope this helps in figuring out the next patch. There is something in your boot up that is taking up all the resources and finally disconecting the devices. It is made worse when you connect a USB 3.0 device and a flurry of activity occurs when you do connect a USB which is why we see reports of people having problems when connecting a USB 3.0 device.

I do not see the need of indexing. If there is a reason such as twonky or perhaps itunes, make it a manual process and allow people to select the directories for indexing. Make it manual, not automatic, or add a switch that when automatic to do it once a week, not every second.

I have reduced my 5 star rating of your device down to 3 stars. I do think your products are wonderful but very complex to use.

Bugs:

1. I did try renaming unsuccessfully the Public folder to something else and when I tried to turn off public access, the window said updating… and I refreshed the web connection…

2. the button for public access to the public folder is now grey out. Although I can assign access to the public folder, Guest is no longer allowed. 

edit:

Note. Since I could not rename the Public Folder (which I’m assuming you have hardccoded this directory somewhere), I created a new share directory that I could limit access to. However since I have copied 3.5TB data and you don’t have a way to move the directories, I SSH into the drive and used the mv command to move all the files from the Public directory to my new Share. 

There is nothing under the Public Directory now. Perhaps that may be a problem with your indexing program? and the button to make it public is still greyed out despite my attempts to change the permissions for the Public Folder.