My setup and Why (low power use No MS etc..)

Hi, All

Just wanted to share a few thoughts on the WDTVLiveHub.:smiley:

First, I liked it so much that I got another one.

And with the latest firmware, I am no longer running a full time PC.

I have one in our living room (with no external hard drives, clean & quiet)

The second one is in a bed room, with a computer, 1G switch, a 7 port USB buddy hub and a bunch of external hard drives.

All hard drives are green (low power, sleeping) and have USB & Esata connections. (use Esata for large moves)

The 7 port buddy hub is connected to both the PC & the WD Hub (push button select & LED).

The other two PC’s used in the house are also hard wired via cat 6 cable and work well together.

By having the two WD Hubs, I no longer am forced to use MS Windoz or run a full time PC.

Renamed the one with all the external hard drives to WDSERVER.

I do prefer Linux and do access the WD Hubs with it.

I added soft foam feet to bottom of the WD Hubs to raise it, and provide greater cooling (it does help)

Also have muffin fan running at very low RPM blowing across bedroom setup, always powered up and ready.

For me, this is the best yet set up.  Have Two other Media Centers (including a gen 1).

Note: there is a slight wait with large movie collection if the drive you goto is sleeping, but more than worth the wait, considering the saved power and ware & tare on your drives.

GREAT JOB WD!  and thanks also for the continued support.:smiley:

Question:

I have made a bunch of what I call folder art (like drive numbers etc…)  Is there a way to share them with the group?

LOL, I also use the hub as my media center, it is a great device.

I have made a bunch of what I call folder art (like drive numbers etc…)  Is there a way to share them with the group?

In your network?

Hi again,

After rereading my post, I see that it might sound like I wanted information on using my folder art (thumbs).

I was actually making my art available for any who might like to use it.  It is made large & easy to read.

Comment below refers to uploading the art to a place others can get it (if any)  Thanks…

In your network?

Can not find …  need long directions…

-or-   if this works, and you want them all, let me know.  BTW the last 2 I just found, not my work, but nice.

Hope this helps…:smiley: