My root (ssh) password suddenly doesn't work

Hi, I access my MBL quite often using SSH (with root password). In fact I just did that just a few hours ago with no problem. However, it suddenly won’t allow me to access anymore. Typing the root (ssh) password now gives me “Access Denied”.

So I check mybooklive/UI/ssh SSH is enabled, and the password is still the same. And I’m 100% sure I type correctly.  I have also restarted MBL. Accessing the shares folder and webGUI seem OK. It’s just the ssh acting as if my root password is wrong.

What’s going on?

If someone (very unlikely) changed the root password, would it be reflected in the mybooklive/UI/ssh page?

No, it wouldn’t show up there AFAIK - it doesn’t show up for me at least.

You shouldn’t be using the root account to access your device through ssh, though.

You are just asking for trouble.

If you have suspicions that your device has been compromised, I would suggest resetting your device.

BTW, what has often happened to me is that I was writing with a different input language keyboard

-not sure if it applies in your case.

I’ve tried from other device (my tablet) where password is already saved. Still get access denied error. Anything I should know before doing the reset? Is the shares still there or do I have to reshare after reset?

as suggested earlier, do not use root unless necessary. Create other users who can also ssh.

The sshd service might be in a hung/weird state, but if you cannot ssh no way to see the status. 

Also, did you change the root password or kept default? Wonder if by any chance there was a firmware upgrade and reset the password. Try both if you did change it.

Last, the dahboard admin password is different that root’s, just want to make sure you are aware… Unless you made them the same.

I’ve already shutdown/restarted MBL a couple of time with no success.

But, if sshd hung, would it respond with login prompt and password? Then proceeeds with “Access Denied”? I didn’t set the auto update (about 6 months ago I did and ended up with bricking MBL, I have to use the debrick script). So I’m a bit traumatized with upgrading).

Original password welc0me also don’t work.

you are correct, but still, would be nice to be able to check for errors or check the sshd status.

The only thing I can think of, reset it to set passwords back to defaults.

I think you’re right. It’s time to hit that reset button. It’s just that since it was bricked last time, I’m afraid to even touch my MBL. Any precautions before i press the reset?

backup your data and in case it also resets to auto update frimware, find a way to block internet access before the reset.

:smiley:

Dear all,
I couldn’t get access to my WD My Cloud via SSH. Neither my admin user name and password worked nor the well known combination root/welc0me. I always got “access denied” with SSH using Putty.

I then simply called the support phone number for network drives at Western Digital (in my case the international no. for Germany 0080085584253, http://support.wdc.com/country/country.asp?c=germany)..) I only had to provide my serial number (which is displayed in the admin GUI). The friendly support told me that I should try the user name sshd instead of root or admin. :dizzy_face:

Et voilà! sshd works :smileyvery-happy:. You can then use the passwd command to set the root password to welc0me or anything you like to have.

Best regards from Hamburg/Germany,
Jörg

1 Like

Joerg_Hamburg wrote:

Dear all,
I couldn’t get access to my WD My Cloud via SSH. Neither my admin user name and password worked nor the well known combination root/welc0me. I always got “access denied” with SSH using Putty.

I then simply called the support phone number for network drives at Western Digital (in my case the international no. for Germany 0080085584253, http://support.wdc.com/country/country.asp?c=germany)..) I only had to provide my serial number (which is displayed in the admin GUI). The friendly support told me that I should try the user name sshd instead of root or admin. :dizzy_face:

Et voilà! sshd works :smileyvery-happy:. You can then use the passwd command to set the root password to welc0me or anything you like to have.

Best regards from Hamburg/Germany,
Jörg

That’s the valid login for the My Cloud Mirror, EX2 and EX4, but not the My Cloud (which is what you say you have) nor the My Book Live (which is the forum you posted in.)

are you saying to type “ssh sshd@192.168.1.1xx” ? This did not work for me. I get ACCESS DENIED for both.