My recommendation: Get Out of the External Drive Business WD

Where do I begin? Maybe with a request to WD: “STOP SELLING POORLY DEVELOPED PRODUCTS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC - JUST STOP IT”

Here is my list of grievances concerning what I consider to be the worst computer accessory purchase I have ever made:

1. NOWHERE on the actual drive does it state whether it is an Essential, Essential SE or Elite. This is important because when the user goes to update the software on WD’s site they have to select which drive they have & unless they are still toting around the original carboard box there is no way of knowing. To add insult to injury, in WD’s infinite lack of wisdom they failed to place a slash through the zeros on the P/N designation which means since this is an alpha-numeric # I had to experiment with Os & 0s to see which was correct. Why is this important? If the user doesn’t know which version (of Passport) they own alternatively they can input the P/N on WD’s site. Instead of all this headache, WD, why not include an autodetect function which can recognize the exact model that your poor hapless customer owns, well???

2. WD, have you ever heard of a PROGRESS INDICATOR??? Obviously not, however Microsoft, Apple, Mozilla, iTunes, Sun Microsystems (basically everyone else) has. As a result of this mind boggling oversight whenever I go to update the software there is NO INDICATION OF PROGRESS BEING MADE, NOTHING. The only thing is a measly pop-up window which states the software is being updated, no % or time indicator to tell me how things are progressing. Therefore I am forced to have Windows Task Manager running on the side so that I will at least know whether or not the software install has crashed (which it does, frequently).

3. The back-up utility is also an exercise in pure concentrated pain, nothing is intuitive. From this screen on the top left corner there is noted the following message: “Ready to Perform Back-up” with NO PROMPT WHATSOEVER as to what the user is supposed to do next. Furthermore after clicking on anything/everything in this window that might lead me to the next step, finally the following message appeared: “Select Content to Back-up” and again, there is NO NEXT STEP NOTED.

NOTE TO WD: INCLUDE CLEARLY IDENTIFIED NEXT STEPS IN YOUR SOFTWARE SO THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE FRANTICALLY FLIPPING THROUGH MANUALS / PULLING THEIR HAIR OUT.

Signed,

One Disgusted X WD Customer

I would have to agree with your comments on problems with using my Passport.  I had to return 2 previous units because they didn’t work properly.  It’s very difficult to do “updates” from the WD site, since I have nothing that says if it is the correct version for the download.

Perhaps they could include your comment items in an update and email we who purchased the specific unit it applies to (they should know this).

Forgot to include; WD also failed to include a progress indicator / status bar to inform their poor hapless victims that Smartware is actually backing up files / doing sweet bugger all. This section, like all the others is devoid of any/all feedback & the only way to find out if there is anything going on is to click on: “Pause Back-Up” at which point a pop-up window will appear asking the user if this is what they really want to do.

Again & for the record, this is the worst, most pitiful excuse for software I have ever seen in my entire life. WD should be ashamed for attempting to peddle ■■■■ like this &, in my opinion, if this is the best they can do, they should: STOP SELLING EXTERNAL BACK-UP DRIVES UNTIL THEY ARE ABLE TO OFFER A FULLY DEVELOPED PRODUCT.

What he said.

Why do you guys expect so much of a free, basic tool?

It seems that for you, Smartware was not working, since it lets me know if the backup is working with the boxes changing in colors from yellow to blue in one side and from gray to blue in the other…

Also, the user manual states that “Ready tto perform backup” means that you need to do nathing and that Smartware will start when the computer goes idle… I don’t know why you guys hate it so much.

And why should WD stop making external drives when you’re obviously experiencing a software problem?, (which itself may be caused by other issues on your particular PC). I don’t use any backup software at all (never have) and my WD external drives work fine.

1 Like

pip22 wrote:

And why should WD stop making external drives when you’re obviously experiencing a software problem?, (which itself may be caused by other issues on your particular PC). I don’t use any backup software at all (never have) and my WD external drives work fine.

Ditto!!! :smiley: