My PC can't see my WDTV?

I have a similar problem where the Wdtv disappears from my Pc. What I’ve found is that the Ip address for the Wdtv and my Pioneer amp keep changing.

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

whoisthebasic wrote:

I have a similar problem where the Wdtv disappears from my Pc. What I’ve found is that the Ip address for the Wdtv and my Pioneer amp keep changing.

Simple:  set a static IP address on the SMPs instead of having them use DHCP (“auto”).  Just make certain that you pick an appropriate IP address.  If you don’t know enough about TCP/IP to be sure what to do, post more info about your network settings in the router (whatever is providing DHCP services).  Some routers can also provide the same IP address to particular devices with DHCP (though many cannot).

• I have used the WD Discovery tool, I posted screenshots.

• Can someone go into there Media Streaming options and see if your WDTV is showing up in the list? Just go here:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming 

I believe this is my WDTV, the IP looks familiar but as you can see all of the device details are gone. Before it said WDTV. It’s just not properly recognized anymore.

• I have a Actiontec router provided by Verizon. I have FiOS TV and Internet so I’m stuck with the router they gave me. So if someone wants to explain to newbie on how to make the MB stick to my PC that would be awesome. Sometimes I move the WDTV between rooms and when I do that the MB goes right back to the PC and I have to do my uplug routine to fix it.

bal1985

OK, here is the screen shot you requested of my media streaming options.  NOTE:  I took a pic of the “Local network”, you took a screen shot of “All networks”, I, too, would have a lot of Unknown Devices showing (likely cell phones of friends that were on the network) and I see my PC listed about six times.  All these things can be removed, and if they return to your network, they will be added back with the same privs.

Notice you see my two WDTVs, and they have slightly different names – one is the default name, and the other I changed so it would be unit 2.(can’t have different WDTVs with the same name).  Maybe you need to see if the default name of your WDTV has disappeared from its setting.  Look in the WDTV settings with the unit’s remote.