My Passport won't load after Unlocked

Hello! I was using my My Passport earlier today and it was working fine but now I’m trying to open it and it won’t work. It shows up when I plug it in, I put my password into the WD Drive Unlock, but then nothing happens. I can’t access any of my files that I’ve got saved on it. I try to unlock it again and it says its already unlocked. Maybe I’m just a noob and can’t figure out how to open it but I’ve used it many times and never had this problem before.

Thanks for your help!!

• Kyle

Hello,

What operating system are you running on your computer and did you try accessing the drive from a different computer?

Hi, I have the same problem on my hard disk. I tried a different computer and windows as you say. But the result is the same. I wrote mail yoluyla support. There is no return for 3 days. And I have a exam in one month. I have to take my lessons notes urgently. Help me pleaseeeee.

1 Like

I’m running windows 10. I was going to try it on my other laptop but I didn’t have time before I left on vacation. Going to try it when I get back. I wanted everything backed up before I left

In first, check in Disk Manager (or Disk Utility in case of Mac), does drive is recognized or not.

I’m kind of having the same problem, except my passport doesn’t have a lock on it. I was going through the testing on my Mac and when I bring up disk utility it just continues to sit there on “loading discs”. When I powered down and removed my passport, then turn back on and did the same thing, it immediately loaded my internal hard drive in the disk utilities section. But, that was with my passport disconnected from my Mac. Does that mean that my passport could be completely unreadable? It did show up when I went in under SYSTEM INFORMATION and clicked on USB. So not sure what I can do from here?

I’m kind of having the same problem, except my passport doesn’t have a lock on it. I was going through the testing on my Mac and when I bring up disk utility it just continues to sit there on “loading discs”. When I powered down and removed my passport, then turn back on and did the same thing, it immediately loaded my internal hard drive in the disk utilities section. But, that was with my passport disconnected from my Mac. Does that mean that my passport could be completely unreadable? It did show up when I went in under SYSTEM INFORMATION and clicked on USB. So not sure what I can do from here?

Hi kylelh ,

We will be waiting for your update.

I have the same problem. I own a 1 tb Mypassport WD Harddrive. It first happened when I accidentally formatted my hard drive so that I can open my hd in Mac. Now, when I plug my hd in laptops, I only see the UNLOCK/LOCK folder and not the HD folder itself.

How to fix it?

and do you do recovering of files ?

Hope to hear from the staff.

I know this is a very old thread, but I found a Fix that worked for me. Turns out MalwareBytes was doing something odd when I connected my external drives. Force closing MalwareBytes allowed my device to operate normally again. Hooray!! Hope this helps someone else!

1 Like

Did anyone resolve this issue? It seems this is a popular issue with no solution…

No I never got the issue resolved. I ended up losing everything on the drive because I couldn’t open it. Now I have two drives that I use and I just make sure whenever I back up I use both of them in case the other one fails.

• Kyle

i didn’t resolve it…
but on windows 10… go to disk manager … find the letter assigned to ur HDD and make sure it’s online…
simply type the letter in the RUN as X:
it should open

Hello, this happened to me as well. first I unlocked the WD Unlocker by putting in my password but nothing popped up. So What I did for Mac was I went to Finder, then applications (left hand side) after that I clicked Go (on the very top) then Computer and there it was!! I hope this helps someone.

I just had the same problem. What worked for me is free

With that tool i managed to recover my files to another disk.
Hope it help

1 Like

Hey all,

My encrypted WD Passport stopped showing up after my Mac run out of batter with it still plugged in (improper shutdown). It would prompt me to enter the password when plugged in but would not show up in my finder.

Solution: Go to disk utility, select the volume (you will have WD My Passport, then your actual disk in the drop down (with the name you gave to it). It should show up but be unmounted. Right click on it and run First Aid. That fixed it for me, even though the first aid failed, the disk showed up in finder and all files were accessible.

For those interested in a solution, I just got my drive fixed(ish).
The problem I had was similar to yours, I unlocked my drive according to the prompt but the drive never shows up on my pc.
Your data isn’t lost or corrupted, it’s a problem from windows not being able to mount the drive after unlocking. Since this is a windows issue, you need Linux.

WD doesn’t support Linux officially but the Linux community always finds a way.
I used this instruction video on how to unlock the drive through Linux/Ubuntu:

The tutorial works quite nice but for me the name of the drive (sdb or sdd) was not read correctly. For me it was sda after searching the disks in Ubuntu.

When you unlocked your drive using the tutorial, go to the disk management screen in Ubuntu, go to your passport storage disk, which looks like a normal drive with the correct capacity, but it seems to be unmounted.
All you have to do now is mount your drive (just a 1 click button) and Linux can access the files.

So now you want to backup all your data by copy pasting it somewhere else. The drive still isn’t usable by windows but it will keep on working on Linux if you manual mount the disk every time.

thank you sooo much!! that worked after many weeks anguishing and getting nowhere with WD support / i am never going to get another WD again. Took seagate for now. I was previously able to unlock the passport (the old computer it was connected to had been auto unlocked) but when i tried the password on other computers it wouldnt recognise it and on the old computer it would unlock, but not mouunt and WD security woudnt recognise the drive… useless… i get the need and the desire to offer security but neither do i need fort knox style security either… on myself and worse still if it was right but not recognised on other machines… you have really picked up my mood… thank you!

I suffered from the same issue. I encrypted the Drive using WD security and could not access the Drive after unlocking it(probably the encryption not compatible with Windows 10). So what i did was after unlocking the disk i removed the password and opened disk management.
Your external disk will be shown there. it will show like the disk 2 (in my case).

Right click on the blue bar of your disk and assign it a letter and check if that works :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had the same problem and resolved it. The My Passport may not have a letter in partition in disk management and if you don’t see a letter this is the problem. Right-click on My Passport and see if you have the option to add or change letter, if not, do the following: open disk management and change letter on WD unlocker. To do this: right click on WD unlocker and assign a new letter, restart computer and unlock My Passport and go to disk management and right click on My Passport and you should now have the option to add or change letter to My Passport. The letter should be different from WD unlocker.

1 Like