My Passport Wireless Pro - System Recovery or Hard Drive replacement

Have you tried using the files app and usb connection between the phone and disk?

It was via the terminal. I was connected via uart/serial and noticed errors about partitions not existing while the firmware was installing. Since I know that that firmware should partition the drive properly, I decided to use ā€˜fdisk -lā€™ once it booted from the new drive.

1 Like

I have, same thing happens, besides I donā€™t want to download to the ipad first and then import into Lightroom CC. Also, Lightroom CC pulls up a Files app proxy menu when it imports the files anyways, so I donā€™t think it changes much.

I use linux daily and have no problem in updating it manually, but as I understand it the NAS-bug will still be there rendering it useless if not used in usb-mode?

While I donā€™t know 100% yet but I think the root cause is that the partitions are not the sizes the firmware is expecting. My reasoning behind this is because I was able to manually create the partitions on my Linux box on a HDD and boot from it fine. Granted it was an older firmware but I doubt itā€™s changed.

Keeping this high level to hopefully discourage folks that arenā€™t familiar from attempting to do itā€¦
Connect the drive to your PC outside of the MPWP, like a standard sata to usb adapter. Format the drive with MBR partition and all partitions primary. First partition is the total size of the disk minus 4G for the hidden partitions. Second and Third partitions are 1G each. The Fourth partition is the remaining 2G. Once you write those changes to the disk, pretend like the second, third, & fourth partitions are a drive themselves (ex: fdisk /dev/sdX2) and make partitions within the partition. For the two 1G partitions, the first should be +512M with the remaining space going to the second partition. For the 2G partition, the first partition should be +1G with the remaining space going to the 2nd partition. Once youā€™ve completed these steps, use ā€˜losetupā€™ to get access to the partitions within the partitions. From there, you can pretend sdX2 is /dev/sdb, sdX3 is /dev/sdc, and sdX4 is /dev/sdd on the MPWP. Format them accordingly, copy of the files, and extract the rootfs.tar.gz to the two sdX4 partitions.

sda1 - exfat - this is where your data goes and thatā€™s accessible via the MPWP usb connection
sdb1 - ext4 - a backup firmware image/file. My MPWP has MyPassportWirelessGen2_1.01.07.bin while the SSD version had a newer version. I believe it doesnā€™t matter what version is on here so put the newest.
sdb2 - ext4 - is use as a log partition of sorts. All you need to do is format it and the OS will take care of the rest.
sdc1 - fat - holds the bootloader/kernel stuff. The official update script uses this location before it flashes it to the ROM/storage on the board.
sdc2 - swap - swap partitionā€¦
sdd1 - ext4 - the os root filesystem.
sdd2 - ext4 - the os root filesystem.

2 Likes

Just curious, if you rate the photos, how would it sync with the desktop editing software? Or do you intend to keep the photos in the drive for awhile and use the rating locally?

The Lightroom CC apps (Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android) all sync to the cloud. Any rating and edits/adjustments made on the iPad Pro would sync to the Mac. I can then filter out the photos that were rated to be edited and rate those in CaptureOne or Lightroom Classic CC manually. Technically Lightroom CC can be synced to Lightroom Classic CC, but I havenā€™t had the time to figure out how to sync a Lightroom CC JPG folder back to a Lightroom Classic CC RAW folder. In any case, gnarbox 2.0 seems to allow rating to be written to EXIF which could be a better solution for my purposes.

No progress on this? @PuDLeZ

I think Iā€™ve fixed the issue with replacing the hard drive with a X600 but been too busy beekeeping to fully wipe the drive and give it a test.

2 Likes

I would love to see if there is any speed improvement for SD card import speed with SSD replacement,

just bought a 4TB version and use for 4k video backup,
which is just tolerable with 30MB/s for old spinning rust.

I canā€™t speak from personal experience (yet) as Iā€™ve had a 4tb model on back-order for weeks.
Unfortunately they have been largely out of stock at the large retailers (Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, Adorama) for up to a month and are just now coming back in stock. Makes you wonder if there was a supply chain/manufacturing issue and/or any electronics changes.

However, after reading a number of reviews going all the way back to the 2TB model, I get the impression the SD card reader in the wireless pro models are capable of backing up data from SD card to internal HDD at close to the advertised ~60MB/sec SD read spec. Of course this will be dependent on the read speed of your particular SD card(s) and would only apply to the best case scenario of sequential reads of large files. (Video, large raw files, etc.) Also this is more of a limitation of the SD Card reader and SOC than the write characteristics of the HDD. Reviews show PC to HDD seq. writes via USB3 are closer to 100MB/secā€¦ so the bottle neck is NOT the HDD at least for sequential xfers. And while random write perf for SSDs tend to be much better than HDDs, the random reads even for higher end SD cards still tend to be only ~5 - 12 MB/sec and will be the majority of the bottle neck as writes to HDD will be buffered in the HDD electronics and/or likely even cached by the SOC for write perf reasons.

As for SD backup in the SSD model - Reviews Iā€™ve seen donā€™t show SD card backup to be much if any faster. Also PuDLeZ has mentioned the electronics (ARM SOC, SD card reader, etc) are pretty much the same between the wireless pro and his SSD review unit. To back this up, pics of the PCBs and component layout in tear downs of production units look pretty much the same to the naked eye. Now WD does list the SD read perf on the SSD model as up to 65MB/sec, but the real world difference is likely less than ~5% for most use cases.

I canā€™t find any review indicate pro model can do 60MB/s, only SSD version can do that number, many review doesnā€™t give the number about the backup speed, mostly just repeat the marketing words about 60MB/s

I did a simple test by ssh into the Pro model,

the reader it self can do 60MB/s, the Hard Drive alone can do 80MB/s

but if you simply test the sequential dd command test from SD reader to Hard Drive, it never get over 40MB/s, which shows there is bottleneck somewhere, thatā€™s why I wonder.

and by the way I do send support ticket to question about this to WD, and their support desk only sent me WiFi connection speed FAQ which is complete unrelated, then they just tell me to send my unit back for RMA,

they literally donā€™t care about this model.

thatā€™s turn me to some China made mobile backup device,

PD800
device only for $370 USD
which can do CFast/XQD/SD,
replaceable 2.5" drive,