My Passport Wireless PRO blue led blinking

Dear WD Community,
the other day, when I tried to turn on my Passport wireless pro, it has began to present the problem as described in the title.
I tried to reset, but nothing. I tried to update at the last firmware version, but nothing.
The pc still does not recognize the device.

I do not know how to fix the problem. Can someone help me?

Many thanks
Simone

Hi Simone23 ,

Well , there is one knowledge based article that could help you in resolving the issue.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15172

Dear Peter.G,
of course, as already mentioned above, I’ve already tried all the methods.

1. There is no sd card inside the device
  2. System and Disk Restore: I can not reboot in any way. I hold down both of the buttons, but after a few seconds, the problem reappears.
  3. File System Format: The device is not recognized either by the computer or the mobile app, so I can not do anything about it

Thanks

Hi Simone23 ,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

This product (WD Wireless Pro)is not good at all. I bought it and transfer some data that I need absolutly to save. Less than 1 month after I cant access it anymore after used it 3 times only.
The only support from help desk is to give the hard drive to extrernalcompany to retreive data and pay more than 1000€ WTF…

Not the first time I had trouble with that brand.

U wanna lose ur data buy WD…

1 Like

The OP refers to a blue flashing light (wi-fi?). The manual states “
Blinking Blue led - Device is booting up, connecting to wireless, or shutting down.

“Less than 1 month after I cant access it anymore after used it 3 times only.”
Not a lot of info there to indicate what your problem may be. Bit like saying “I only drove my new car 3 times and now it won’t start”!!! Could be something as simple as no fuel in the tank. :wink:

What actions have you taken to connect to the drive?
Is the battery charged?
What are the leds on the top doing?
Is it a wireless issue? Are you connecting using the same device or a different device?
Does the drive connect as a DAS when plugged into the USB type C connection to PC?
Have you performed a system reset (no data loss)?
The user manual describes how to check connection issues. If in doubt it is worth a read.

At last resort, there is software available to recover data from a HDD so it should not cost you thousands. I have used O&O disk recovery in the past to successfully recover lost files.

thankyou for this article. I have had troubles with my WD passport since the moment I purchased it and after having read many problems and complaints here the only safe thing to do is return it to the retailer and get a full refund.

I suspect a number of flashing blue light issues may be related to not ejecting the drive correctly. Apparently exfat format is susceptible to issues when USB plug pulled and not correctly ejected by the operating system.

Hello DM100,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for helping to fix the issue.

I give you more explanation about my issues.

• When I start normally the hard drive I have the Wifi light blinking during 1 minute, after that I have the Wifi light + the 4 top light blinking constantly.
  • I tried to connect through Wifi, USB on Windows, USB on Mac and through the Apps on mi iPhone.
  • The Network “My Passport XX GHz” dont appear anymore on my computer or on my iPhone.
  • The computer dont recognize anymore the hard drive. I saw that is connected, i can do a safe remove but no hard drive appear anywhere.
  • I downloaded the last firmware and put it on a new SD Card Scan disk Ultra 32 Gb.
    Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support
    I Format it in FAT-32, I had the choice to do it in (16-32-64 kilobytes) i tried all :-((
    I create a file named “update” and i put inside the file “MyPassportWirelessGen2_1.03.04.bin”
  • I turned on the hard drive, push on both Power & SD Button.
    After a while all the light (Wifi + 4 top light) start blinking 3 short time + 1 long time until the hard drive turn off automatically.

I hope i give enough information. If you have any proposition/advice for solving this trouble they are welcome. If not the hard drive will and up in rubbish and I will go buy Lacie brand…

Tks again, wish u all an happy end of the year;-)

John

Hi John, is your unit still covered by warranty? I would contact WD support and arrange RMA for fix/exchange.

Hi DM100,

Thats the first think I did, but i will loose all my data. I transfered pictures from 2 iphone to my driver.

I use it 3 times I didnt expect he will stop working like that so I dont have any back up…

Anyone already make update of the firmware for the WD Wireless Pro?
Could you tell me what u used for format the SD Card? Format in FAT-32 16 kilobytes? Im using windows 10.
I almost tried all I wanna be sure I did the correct step with FAT-32 16 kilobytes

After downoading the firmware, did u rename it before put it in the created folder named: “update”?

I tried without renaming and renaming like this “MyPassportWireless_x.bin”

Is it possible to open easily to hard drive and connect it right away to the laptop without needed the firmware?

I really need to have back the data inside without paying 1000€ to a recovery data company…

Hi John,
Pushing on button and sdcard button at same time actually initiates a reset. That is not the way to update firmware (if that is actually what you were trying to achieve). Update firmware steps shown below state after inserting scared press On button (only). Also make sure battery level is above 50% or it won’t update firmware.
Don’t rename the firmware or it will not install. I would use Fat-32 (32 bit) on your sdcard.

Download the firmware to your desktop.
Unzip the file and you will find the actual firmware in this format: MyPassportWireless_x.bin.
Format an SD card FAT-32.
Create a folder on the SD card named “update”.
Copy the MyPassportWireless_x.bin file into the “update” folder.
Turn OFF the My Passport Wireless.
Insert the SD Card.
Turn ON the My Passport Wireless.
The My Passport Wireless will boot up, then will start flashing a White LED while the update is happening.
Once the update is complete the LED will return to the normal ON state.

Thnx, I did it ! ⚠️ How to INSTALL speed SSD DRIVE INTO WD My Passport Wireless PRO. Replace hdd with ssd WD Blue. - YouTube