My Passport Ultra for Mac runs then stops

Just purchased a 5TB My Passport Ultra for Mac, and returned it and got another because I thought the original was faulty. But it wasn’t faulty, as the second one is doing the exact same thing. There are a few issues getting Time Machine going with the disk, but once you “unmount” and do a few other things, Time Machine will finally recognize the disk and start backing up. BUT, it will get about 5GB into the backup, and then “fail” and stop backing up. Reboot the computer, fire up Time Machine, and it will start at the 5GB mark, start loading again and you think all is well, but then it stops and “fails” again at 10GB etc… I am running Big Sur. Help!

I’m having different issues. I just bought the same Passport Ultra and had problems with Time Machine on Big Sur. Eventually I was able to erase the drive and got Time Machine to start backing up on a regular basis, until today. I started getting an error that the backup couldn’t be completed.

Since I didn’t want to go into Recovery mode → Disk Utilities and erase the drive for the 5th time and do another full backup of my Mac’s HDD, I ejected the Passport Ultra, unplugged it and then plugged it back in and it started working again. I need to continue to watch for issues.

I’m starting to lose confidence in WD. I’ve NEVER had issues with WD drives for over 20 years until now.