My Passport Ulta. Some folders with data disappeared after connect to another PC

I have My Passport Ultra, All the folders with my files stored on my disk has been disapeared, exculding basic utilities that has been stored when I bought the disk. 

I use My Passport Ultra with Mac. Once I have connected the disk to PC and did not see the folders with my data with the Explorer. When I connected the disk to my Mac again, the folders with my data disappeared. 

Please help me to understand what should I do to restore my data? 

Thank you

I think you are in the wrong forum, better ask here:  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/bd-p/BoardExample2

What filesystem do you have on your Ultra? ExFAT that works for both Mac and Windows?

If Mac OS Extended,Windows can’t read it if you don’t have specail utility for it.

Then what happend for you I have no idea, but it seems windows changed something even if I find that unlikely if you didn’t asked it to.

Here’s a “Guess.”

Your Passport Ultra was HFS+ formatted (for Mac).

You plugged it into your PC, which will not recognize HFS+.

It asked you “This drive must be formatted before use.”   And you said “Yes.”

Your drive was formatted NTFS – which erased everything.

I think the WD Utilities are in a protected partition (Virtual CD device) – but I’m not sure on that model.   But if that’s correct, that software would not have been erased during formatting.

@TonyPh1234

But he say the incuded utilities are still there if I understand him right.

the incuded utilities are still there - you are right!

There is no the folder with all my files 1,5Tb in total, just same utilities that I got with the new hard drive.

When I plugged into my PC, I did not format anything. I did not find my files in the Explorer.

Then I disconnected my drive from PC, plugged back into the Mac (where I use this drive with NTFS all the time). There is no any folders with my files on the Mac anymore. 

The drive shows the same volume of data (it almost full) - it looks like all my files are somewhere on the drive. But I can not find the folder with my data…

Sounds very strange that nor Windows or Mac OS (with help of NTFS utility) could see the maps and files)

What NTFS utility do you use? I have the Paragon NTFS for Mac OS and it have never failed me… yet.

Edit: Have you tried the repair in Disk utility for the Mac? 

I hope you have a backup or copies of those files missing.

Hey Cekari,

Have you looked for hidden folders or special read/write rules on the drive?

@RichSpan: Wrong person :slight_smile:

Anyway it’s a suggestion to try out for the TM.

Yep, sorry about that :flushed: