I have a 1Tb My Passport SE external drive that is recognized as an Initio Combo Device. I realize that this is probably due to my firmware being corrupt so Windows (xp and Windows 7) reads the bridge device rather than the drive itself. I've been reading forum after forum the past few days and have tried many possible solutions but I feel that I am stuck with a bricked HD.
System(s): I've used two different laptops with different operating systems and get the same result
- Laptop 1
- HP Pavilion DV1000
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Laptop 2
- Eee Mini PC
- Windows 7 Home edition
* NOTE - The HD worked on both computers before
Things that I have tried so far:
- Four different cables (3 different types of cables)
- Uninstall/Reinstall - keeps coming up with Initio Combo Device Class
- Looked for HD on device manager/Disk Management - Didn't show up as drive on either one
- Opened services (local) and ensured that "plug and play" and "removable storage" was enabled and started
- Firmware update using WD Firmware Updater
- Didn't work. I got this message: "WD Firmware Updater is unable to determine the appropriate firmware for your
- dismantle the drive and remove the HD from the SATA adapter.
- The SATA adapter is built in to the HD so it is impossible to remove the HD from the adapter.
I know it is this specific HD and not my computers because I have three other my passport HDs (same model number) that work just fine. This one I let a friend borrow and it came back in this condition. My friend doesn't know what he did, but he did replace my HD which was nice of him. I just want to get the data from it. Is this possible or have I exhausted all possibilities?
Thank you in advance!