My Passport - Password Protected

When I got this drive, I didn’t read deep enough to understand the ability to be used on a PC and a Mac, therefore the original format was defaulted. I set up the drive with a password and anytime that I connected it to a Mac, it prompted to be unlocked. I placed documents on it and disconnected it and later connected it to a PC. I was prompted to unlock it with the password, which I did. However, I was unable to write to it. This went on for a while with me bringing it back to the Mac to update or add files.

A few days ago, I decided to read up more on it. At which time I found that if the drive was formatted FAT32 or exFAT, it could be used by both computers.

So I saved off all of the documents. Reformatted the drive exFAT. And then once done, restored all of documents back to the device.

Everything seemed to be working as I was able to update and/or add files. However, it now does NOT require a password.

How do I get this back so it requires a password? Also, is there some sort of time out when it would lock itself up for lack of use and require the password again to unlock it.

Can anyone out there help me?

Use the WD Security tool to re-enable the password.

Thank you! I was actually looking at that and was confused, since the statements were confusing. At any rate, it works okay now, but only to an extent.

If I plug the device into my Mac for the first time, it will require the unlock. If I close without entering the password, and then when I connect it to one of the Virtual Clients on the Mac that is a PC, it will also prompt for password.

Here is the catch now. Once I enter the password, it unlocks the device correctly, but if I disconnect the drive using the VMWare disconnect, it returns to the Mac UNLOCKED.

It appears that once unlocked it is available to all of my VM Clients withOUT having to reenter the password.

Additionally, it appears that the Autoplay does prompt for the password, but I can by pass it and go directly to the drive

That sort of makes sense to me. The only thing the VM Client is doing is unlocking the drive. The drive doesn’t care who unlocks it – as long as the “challenge” is successfully answered, the drive unlocks.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of time out on the password due to idle time?