My Passport NG On 1 PC. Fine On 2 Other PCs

Hi. I have a 2 TB My Passport. It works fine on my 2 older laptops, but has stopped working on my desktop PC. The desktop and one of the laptops are Windows 10 the other laptop is Windows 8.1.

I initially had it connected to the USB port on my WD My Cloud drive. I had a flaky seagate drive that would become an Unreognized USB Device. I decided to try the seagate drive in the My Cloud usb port. I swapped the two drives and everything worked fine for awhile. The seagate drive went offline a couple times and finally I couldn’t get it to work through the My Cloud usb port. I swapped the 2 drives again. The seagate is working fine connected to the desktops usb. The My Passport would not work on the My Cloud usb or on the desktop’s usb. I have another drive working through the My Cloud usb.

When I plug the My Passport in, Windows assigns it a drive letter (not the letter it had previously) and says the drive needs to be formatted. I almost did that, but decided to plug it into my laptop first. It’s working fine on the laptop. No issues in device manager. I am completely stumped on this.

Hello jab455,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. The link below will allow you to call support.