My Passport Issue

Hello! I have a WD Passport and something seems to be amiss.
I am a secondary school teacher so I regularly create resources at home and port the PPTs etc. into work. No issues. However having been plugged in to my PC in my classroom, when I return home I am regularly finding that when I go to access the file again, it is gone (deleted/wiped). Sometimes the file is there and when I click to open the file, it either disappears at that point or it says the file is corrupt and needs repaired to no avail. I should stress it is not always the same file, it seems to be any file I open and use in work.

I am fairly tech savvy and have been able to use RecoverIt to always get my files back but it is just a pain to do it almost every day after work. Can anyone think why this is happening? Is there anything I should be doing to fix this issue.

Best,
Alan

There are chances that your WD drive consist of bad sectors. When a good hard disk comes up with one or more bad sectors, the disk goes bad; and, when such a situation occurs, the data stored in the bad sectors may get lost. Hence, in situations where the hard drive experiences one or more bad sectors, it is highly advisable to back up the disk data or fix the bad sectors instantly.

Below are the common signs and symptoms that indicate bad sectors in a Hard Drive:

• Strange noises on booting, especially at the time of read/write and hard disk drive opening.
  • Error Messages like “Files become corrupt while running a program or reading a file”.
  • System is consuming a long time to run a program or read a file.
  • System showing a Blue Screen.
  • When your system shows warning message such as a “General error in reading drive C” or “Sector not found”, even though it is not attacked by a virus.
  • When Windows fail to complete the hard disk drive format - Quick as well as full.
  • When the System every time, upon booting, auto-runs the Scandisk to scan errors in the hard drive.

Further, I suggest you to check out the below link that explains all the measures to check the health of any hard disk:

Hope it will help!!

Also are you always doing a safe removal of the USB drive, rather than just pulling the plug?

If Windows (or whatever) is still writing to the drive from its cache and you just pull it, then you could end up with vanishing or corrupted files (or in the worst case a completely corrupted drive partition).