My passport Insufficient privileges

I ha a huge system issue with my  iMac requirng a re installof my OS… Now  my PAssort is denying  me access because Ihave “insufficient  priviliges”

Ive tried  chmod 775 “/Volumes/volumename/”   and  

sudo chown root:admin /Volumes/“volume name”

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted.

killall Finder

Press RETURN.

but  no  joy…

any  ideas here?

You might have better luck posting in the Mac section.

Joe

thanks  joe

would a firmware update and software update ( WD )  cause thisissue?

J

J…Did you get any more answers??  I am running into the same problem.  Just brought my Mac home from having the hard drive repaired and I cant restore from My Passport.  Getting the same message on some of my files…I also did the firmware and software update.  Thanks.

I think you need the same version of smartware that you backep up with. a newer version will cause troubles. I don’t know how to roll back.

Joe

MY  HD was a fubar, totally.

dont know how or whe byt the XP inside my VMfusio  was corrupted and so I can’t get at my data. I have to  rstore manually from  hard copy

“J…Did you get any more answers??  I am running into the same problem.  Just brought my Mac home from having the hard drive repaired and I cant restore from My Passport.  Getting the same message on some of my files…I also did the firmware and software update.  Thanks.”

You should be able to  migrate  using assitant.

Better to  repost in the mac section

J

darned tyops

MY  HD was a fubar, totally.

dont know how or why but the XP inside my VMfusion  was corrupted and so I can’t get at my application and its  data. I have to  restore manually from  hard copy.

“J…Did you get any more answers??  I am running into the same problem.  Just brought my Mac home from having the hard drive repaired and I cant restore from My Passport.  Getting the same message on some of my files…I also did the firmware and software update.  Thanks.”

You should be able to  migrate  using assistant.

Better repost in the MAc section on here and also  if you used timemachine   go to Applediscussions. I  got a lot of advice  there about restoring

J

I just noticed a post on Smartware if you used that for backup. You need the same edition you backed up with for recovery. I only used the Smartware once and uninstalled it. I don’t know about Macs.

Joe

As I am  on MAc I used time machine not WD  software

J