My Passport Essential SE (1TB) Help

Hi. I’m actually totally newbie at this. Now before I begin, I just want to say that I’ve extensively read the documentation, instructions, manual, etc. for this device beforehand; but I still do not feel confident that I’ll be using this device properly because I keep running into problems. I have Windows XP by the way.

First and foremost, to install this external hard drive, I know that I must install it via the installer within the device.

Once installation of it is complete, I begin to run into questions/problems.

-For one, the WD Smartware keeps reminding me of an update, which is from October 20. And I bought this recently. I’ve already tried installing that update anyway. However, periodically, the program still reminds me of that update, as if I didn’t do so.

-I’m trying to backup certain files/folders only and this is probably the center of my issue:

I chose to only backup the files/folders I want (as opposed to backing up based on file type). I attempted my first backup, following the instructions I read about. The backup seemed to have went just fine. I then realized that I forgot to include a folder or 2, and files. But I couldn’t figure out how to next make that extra folder get backup into the drive (I still don’t know). I assumed it would back up that folder as well if I were to close and re-open the WD Smartware window.

That’s when more problems appeared. On the right of the backup process, it showed a warning about how certain number of files weren’t backed up successfully. And this number of files kept increasing to like 300, from different locations on my PC. All had the same reason that the drive couldn’t find that file’s location or something. But I didn’t make any changes to any files on my PC. And that extra folder I wanted to back up wasn’t yet backed up.

So I chose to remove the files I put onto the drive, myself, but I couldn’t find out how to do that, either. While looking around for answers, the external drive suddenly went haywire (but that’s a separate problem, altogether).

I’m about to head down to the store for a replacement with my recept, but before I even make use of that replacement, I would really appreciate some help about this:

1. Does this external hard drive always automatically back up files? Is there any way to make it only back up files when I want it to do so and only additional files I want to add, not just backing up again the files that are already on the drive?

2. How do I back up only certain files that I want, after having backed up other files in a previous session? Like, all I see is “stop backup”. If I hit that and select the files I want to back up next, then hit “start backup”, it doesn’t do anything. I just basically want to add more files to the drive that I either forgot or may want to add as time goes by.

3. Why is this error about not backing up files successfully popping up, when it’s definitely inappropriate for the situation?

4. If I want to delete certain things only, that I’ve put on the drive myself, how do I do that?

Thanks! I really want to have a positive experience with this product.

Hi dude! Let’s go one thing at a time.

Iniche wrote:

-For one, the WD Smartware keeps reminding me of an update, which is from October 20. And I bought this recently. I’ve already tried installing that update anyway. However, periodically, the program still reminds me of that update, as if I didn’t do so.

That happened to me once, the best thing to do is to uninstall Smartware, clean the registry (Use CCleaner since it’s free if you don’t have a system optimizer like Tune-up Utilities) and then install the latest version of Smartware directly from WD’s site ignoring the original version that came with your drive. If it still shows there’s an update even when the update was installed directly, then Smartware is just nuts (Which is common, sadly).

Iniche wrote:

-I’m trying to backup certain files/folders only and this is probably the center of my issue:

I chose to only backup the files/folders I want (as opposed to backing up based on file type). I attempted my first backup, following the instructions I read about. The backup seemed to have went just fine. I then realized that I forgot to include a folder or 2, and files. But I couldn’t figure out how to next make that extra folder get backup into the drive (I still don’t know). I assumed it would back up that folder as well if I were to close and re-open the WD Smartware window.

That’s when more problems appeared. On the right of the backup process, it showed a warning about how certain number of files weren’t backed up successfully. And this number of files kept increasing to like 300, from different locations on my PC. All had the same reason that the drive couldn’t find that file’s location or something. But I didn’t make any changes to any files on my PC. And that extra folder I wanted to back up wasn’t yet backed up.

So I chose to remove the files I put onto the drive, myself, but I couldn’t find out how to do that, either. While looking around for answers, the external drive suddenly went haywire (but that’s a separate problem, altogether).

I’d suggest you to format the drive to clean it and start fresh before the update.

Iniche wrote:

I’m about to head down to the store for a replacement with my recept, but before I even make use of that replacement, I would really appreciate some help about this:

This is a Smartware problem, even if you replace the drive you’ll have the same problem since it’s the same software. You’d have to trade it for a drive from a different brand or you’ll be riding the same wave again.

Iniche wrote:

1. Does this external hard drive always automatically back up files? Is there any way to make it only back up files when I want it to do so and only additional files I want to add, not just backing up again the files that are already on the drive?
  1. How do I back up only certain files that I want, after having backed up other files in a previous session? Like, all I see is “stop backup”. If I hit that and select the files I want to back up next, then hit “start backup”, it doesn’t do anything. I just basically want to add more files to the drive that I either forgot or may want to add as time goes by.
  1. Why is this error about not backing up files successfully popping up, when it’s definitely inappropriate for the situation?
  1. If I want to delete certain things only, that I’ve put on the drive myself, how do I do that?

Thanks! I really want to have a positive experience with this product.

1- The drive itself doesn’t do any backups, Smartware is the one doing the job. Smartware is always on and tries to copy the files as soon as it detecs the computer is idle and not in use, the closest thing to controlling it is to click on stop when you don’t need to copy the files and then click on start again, and the files are not copied over again, only files that are changed get updated.

2- On the backup tab, you should see the option to check/uncheck the files you want if you’re on file backup.

3- Because something is preventing Smartware from making a copy of those files, if they are in use by any process on your computer (Evena  hidden process on Task Manager) then Smartware won’t force it and will just skip it and tell you it couldn’t do it.

4- If you put things on the drive on your own, without using Smartware then just go to the drive (In the computer section) and erase what you want the same way you erase files on Windows.

If I were you I’d keep the drive, format it and use any program other than Smartware, the drive itself will just do what you the software you use tells it to do, unless you’re like me and you just manually copy and paste your files directly to the drive without using any software at all, since I find it much more reliable to do things myself.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help so far :slight_smile:

Just a couple extra questions:

How do I format the drive?

Is it more recommended to place files directly on the drive or use a software for that (a program other than Smartware)?

Iniche wrote:

How do I format the drive?

Go to computer, right-click the drive and select “Format”.

Iniche wrote:

Is it more recommended to place files directly on the drive or use a software for that (a program other than Smartware)?

That’s a personal choice, I like to do it manually and put the files directly on the drive but other people may find it faster and easier just to use a software. If you’re going to use a software to copy the files then just make sure it’s a program you know how to use and you know that works for you, if you’re willing to experiment then the first option to try is Windows Backup (On Vista and W7, it’s not on XP)… Other people use GoodSync, SyncToy, Memeo, Dmailer, Acronis, and other hundred different free and paid programs.

At the end of the day it’s a matter of personal preference related to what works best --for you–.

1 Like

Thank you and one, final, final question (I hope :P):

-Is there a specific folder within the drive that I should be putting my files? I notice that the drive already contains some files, like the Smartware installer, etc.

After you format the drive, it will be empty. So you should put the files where you like them the most.

1 Like

Thank you!

My pleasure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, wait. May I ask one more quick question?

Since I had the drive replaced before the thread got its first reply, I figure I should ask about the start.

So, when I plug in the drive, Windows (XP) will say that it found new hardware. It’ll ask me if I want to install it myself. I decline, this right?

Then I go to that drive in My Computer, I right-click on it and choose “Format”. And that’s good? Then I can start putting files on it?

Installing and formatting are not related.

You should let XP install the drivers, since the drivers are what let XP know that what --is-- connected is an external drive. After the drivers are installed and Windows tells you the device is ready to use, then you’re clean to format it.

1 Like

Thanks again, man!

Any time :wink:

Sorry to bug again, but I need help again…

When I select “Format…”

What settings should it be:

-“File System” (NTFS or exFAT)

-“Allocation Unit Size” (Default Allocation Size or 512 bytes or 1024 bytes or 2048 bytes or 4096 bytes)

-“Volume Label” (should it be default “My Passport”)

-Format Options (should I tick “Quick Format” and/or “Enable Compression”)

NTFS, 512b (Or default), the volume label is what you like since that’s the name it will have from now on, and since we only need a quick erasing and cleaning then for this time a quick format will be enough. The compression won’t help you so try to skip it.

1 Like

Thanks, and out of curiosity, what does allocation size mean? And you’re sure it’s 512 bytes (because when the format window popped up, it showed 4096 bytes by default; there is a “default allocation size” as another option, though)

That’s the way the drive’s sectors are going to be organized and structured to hold the data in blocks, the larger the block the more data can be fit without splitting it to different blocks, increasing reliability. But XP has known issues with 4096b (4K) allocation, so that’s why I suggest to go default (Which will be a factory configuration) or 512b for XP.