My Passport Essential reset

Hi all,

This happens when the drive is using the older version of the firmware.  Please update the firmware and try again.

here is the link

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/Step1.asp?id=wdfMP_Essential&os=win

Please note: this is not the WD SmartWare software updater but the actual firmware update for the physical drive.

Step 1: Update the Drive Firmware  (last updated 8/5/10)

1. Disconnect all external drives from the computer except for the My Book or My Passport drive you want to update.
  2. Ensure that the My Book or My Passport drive is connected to a USB port on your computer and if you have password protected your drive, make sure to unlock it or remove password before you begin the firmware and software update process.                                           -------------------------------------------

----- And it for whom is written???

I need to unblock a disk (completely to clear, return to factory options)!!! A problem in the password!!!

In general who answers me???

Find a method to dump a disk or to stitch flash yours VCD new firmware
Or separately the utility for destruction of all data on a disk together with the password (which it is requested for an unblocking)
I have written down on a disk linux and have connected to the receiver - he was blocked - I DID NOT BLOCK the DISK, And I DO NOT KNOW WHAT the PASSWORD At IT AT 5 TIMES (OR MORE) INPUT of ANY PASSWORDS isn’t present the INVITATION TO DISK CLEARING

Here my problem

P.S For 140 dollars has bought a headache

WD Application Launcher and Cleaner.exe - What function carries out???
Lies in a folder temp.

Hi everyone, am new to the forum and i hope u guys wil help me. I have a my passport essential hdd, s/n: WXG1A2088874 and p/n: WDBAAA5000ABK-00. I bought it almost 2 months ago. A friend got it so that he can use it to back and transfer data while he reinstalled his system, but when it came back i could not access it. It only shows the smartware virtual cd and whenever i try to unlock it using the unlock utility in smartware it only says ‘There are too many password recovery attempts.’ Please please help me. Thanks.

If you don’t have valuable data the best solution may be to look for the option to wipe the drive and start clean then reformat and start over.

i bought for long time ,serial number:7 18037 74489 6.Why you told me  end user???