My Passport Essential failed with Error Code 8

I used Lifeguard Diagnostics, as My Passport Essential has stopped working. The result was (failed with error code 8)
Can anyone offer any advice!

Hello, josie-1949

Well, the code failed with error code 8 means “Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) Error returned during SMART Status/Self Test Command. This may be due to a media error. It also may be due to a defective connection. Retest after checking the connections. Replace the drive if the error repeats”. According to the KBA

HelloRocky.S

Thanksfor your response.

TheUSB outlet in my computer works with other hardware.

Ihave retested and again the Quick Testresult was Pass. The Extended Test result was Test Error Code:08-Unable torepair bad sectors.

Isuppose there could be a defective connection within the device or its USBlead. Although the device has hardly been used.

Couldyou please let me know, how could I check for a media error and how would I Replace the drive?

Regards

Rocky.S WDStaff
February 12 |

Hello, josie-1949

Well, the code failed with error code 8 means “Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) Error returned during SMART Status/Self Test Command. This may be due to a media error. It also may be due to a defective connection. Retest after checking the connections. Replace the drive if the error repeats”. According to the KBA

support.wdc.com
Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Error Code List

This answer presents a list of error codes for Data Lifeguard Tools 2.8, 10 and 11, as well as Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en