I need help resolving an installation problem
This is my second attempt to install on Windows XP SP3 to back up my hard drive (@ 14:48 hrs Mon 14 Nov 2011)
- I followed instructions exactly as per the UserManual,
- On selecting Cancel at step 5, WD Drive Status on my desktop stated a problem occurred …
I was not able to capture word for word
- selecting the window, a popup window stated
( WD SmartWare has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. )
- I was in two minds to restart from scratch, but proceeded with Smartware
- No autoplay for Smartware, so I manually ran Smartware.exe,
- I choose a full install, but an error occured nearing completion,
- Status for Smartware was visible in the desktop navbar, referencing:
( My Passport USB HDD [H:] Used = 1% ) with green light active
(Locked = No, )
( Temperature = No )
I don’t understand why this installation is so difficult |
- I have check across the community boards on WD and see variety of messages from users experiencing similiar problems with installation.
- Does WD need a specific build in WinXP ensure a successful installation ?
- I have checked in services.msc the following files exist:
- WD File Management Engine
- WD File Management Shadow Engine
- WD SmartWare Drive Manager
- Program Files also exist > C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare
- Front Parlor
- WD Drive Manager
- What do I do now, uninstall, and try for a third time !
- Can someone help me.