My passport elite died after updated the firmware

Very dissapointed with WD, releasing an updates without testing on it! just bought the external hard disk few months ago and very happy with it (“put your Life on it”). after update the firmware given by WD, it died!!!

i cant claim the waranty because they will just change one for one to you, then i will lost of my datas. the only way i can claim a new one and get back my data is i have to pay for WD specific data recover service!!!

what is this!!!

gonna throw this away and conert to other brand.

gone through serveral thread but it cant help cause i cant detect the external HD either from Mac OS or Window Xp.

any suggestion???

Hi dude!!

I know you’re a Mac user, but you can try to do another firmware update on a PC, this works around 70% of the time.

This is because even though you can fomat a Passport Elite to work on a Mac, it comes with firmware optimized for Windows, hence, when you try to “update” the firmware you are actually changing it.

There are several posts in here about it and is something you could try on good faith.

Hope it helps.

hi thanks for the comments,

I tried to plug to a PC, it cant detect at all.

any ideas?

You learned a painful lesson. Never  trust important data to just one drive internal or external no matter who makes it. If you only have one copy you don’t have a backup.

Joe

mikesim123 wrote:

hi thanks for the comments,

I tried to plug to a PC, it cant detect at all.

any ideas?

You can download the WIndows firmware on this link: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/Step1.asp?id=wdfMP_Elite&os=WIN 

Joe_S wrote:

You learned a painful lesson. Never  trust important data to just one drive internal or external no matter who makes it. If you only have one copy you don’t have a backup.

Joe

Indeed…